Compression on FAT32 Volume

jfv04jfv04 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, this makes no sense. I was taking the practice test on here and I got a question about the easiest way to compress on a FAT32 volume. The answers were to either convert the File System to NTFS or just to create a compressed folder on the volume and then move all the files into the new compressed folder. I chose to convert the file system and I was wrong. The answer said to simply create a compressed folder. Then, later on in the practice test, I got another question about compression. The answer was that you can only compress files and folders on an NTFS volume. WTF, someone explain. icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "compressed folder" = .zip file in MS terminology. You have to zip it (make a compressed folder) in order to compress something since FAT32 does not support compression in the file system itself.
  • AngusGAngusG Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I probably would've clicked the same answer... It's confusing...

What was the full question?? Suppose the keyword there is easiest :S:S[/quote]
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    jfv04 wrote:
    Ok, this makes no sense. I was taking the practice test on here and I got a question about the easiest way to compress on a FAT32 volume. The answers were to either convert the File System to NTFS or just to create a compressed folder on the volume and then move all the files into the new compressed folder. I chose to convert the file system and I was wrong. The answer said to simply create a compressed folder. Then, later on in the practice test, I got another question about compression. The answer was that you can only compress files and folders on an NTFS volume. WTF, someone explain. icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif:

That's to remind you how tricky is the exam. The question asked about the easiest way to compress on a fat32 volume. Like what Dynamik said, the only way to use compression on fat32 is by using zipped folders (or use a third party compression utility).

Converting to NTFS is wrong since your no longer producing the desired result which is to compress on a fat32 volume. It is to compress on fat32 right? then why would you try to convert to NTFS and do the compression. Hope this makes sense .

I'm just itching to clear my statement.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, dynamik is essentially correct, if you read the explanation in that question on the compressed folder, it reads (hint - keywords are bold):

Explanation:
    Windows XP contains comes with a new feature named Compressed folders. This feature allows you to create compressed folders which are actually zip files.

On the second question you got, you need to notice the keyword, which is bolded below:
    Which of the following is true concerning drive compression in Windows XP Professional?

Hmmmm.... Drive compression, not folder compression...
    Gotta watch and read those questions VERY carefully! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    It's confusing, because there are actually two types of compression:

1) NTFS Compression - This compression is only available on an NTFS partition. It can be accessed by right-clicking the desired file (or folder), choosing properties, clicking advanced, and checking compress contents to save disk space.

2) Compressed Folders - This can be used on a FAT32 or NTFS partition. Access this by right-clicking the desired file (or folder), choosing send to, and clicking compressed (zipped) folder.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
    jfv04 wrote:

That's to remind you how tricky is the exam. The question asked about the easiest way to compress on a fat32 volume. Like what Dynamik said, the only way to use compression on fat32 is by using zipped folders (or use a third party compression utility).

Converting to NTFS is wrong since your no longer producing the desired result which is to compress on a fat32 volume. It is to compress on fat32 right? then why would you try to convert to NTFS and do the compression. Hope this makes sense .

I'm just itching to clear my statement.

But technically compressing the volume using compressed folders isn't compressing the volume itself... it's creating a compressed folder on the volume, but sill not compressing the volume itself..
  • harrischrharrischr Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I got the same question wrong. I still don't like their explanation, but what are you going to do? I've taken the other two XP tests and gotten my MCDST and they always try to trick you. Just pay EXTREMEMLY close attention and you should do fine.
  • somedudefromthenetsomedudefromthenet Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jfv04 wrote:

Notice the question "easiest way to compress on a FAT32 volume" not "easiest way to compress the FAT32 volume"

MCP exam questions are usually long and they require you to analyze the questions carefully; they also throw in some items in each question that is not required to solve the problem or that doesnt really make sense but is not related to the question.

Windows XP has a built-in file and folder compression. Volume compression is through NTFS file system.

Overclocked Admin
    coffee.jpg
    jfv04 wrote:

Notice the question "easiest way to compress on a FAT32 volume" not "easiest way to compress the FAT32 volume"

Ahhh of course...
  • ranjitcoolranjitcool Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gravyjoe wrote:
    It's confusing, because there are actually two types of compression:

1) NTFS Compression - This compression is only available on an NTFS partition. It can be accessed by right-clicking the desired file (or folder), choosing properties, clicking advanced, and checking compress contents to save disk space.

2) Compressed Folders - This can be used on a FAT32 or NTFS partition. Access this by right-clicking the desired file (or folder), choosing send to, and clicking compressed (zipped) folder.

pretty good explanation, bravo!
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.
    Want to clear - CCSA, CCNA, VCP for now.

Spending time @ www.itgrunts.com - Tech Juice, Not from Concentrate!