Options

Do you get excited for Interviews?

vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Throughout my IT career, I get contacted back probably 9 times out of 10 times whenever I send out my resume. The problem is I only get offered a job once out of the 9 times I interview. This means I don't get excited at all when I'm called in for an interview. So I just wanted to ask for your opinion on what I could do better to make those interviews worthwhile. I have an interview tomorrow. If I get that job it means a huge pay hike so I'm wondering if anyone could help me ace that interview.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Might want to check out the links here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=231478#231478 for some interview tips. Good luck!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What excites me about an interview is if I know that the job will involve working with exciting technologies or exciting duties i.e. design work. Compensation has never been enough to excite me about a job. So I would say make sure to be looking for a job that deals with something exciting to you personally and that should kick you in gear for the interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Granted I haven't had a lot of interviews since I've been in IT. Its been 4 interviews in the 1 1/2 year that I've been in this field, granted 2 of the 4 was for one job, and I've been offered the job every time. I do have to say that I do get very excited for interviews to the point of not being able to sleep. The idea of working with new technologies and equipment is exciting as well as a bump in pay is also a huge plus.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The reason I don't get excited is because I've had so many interviews where I don't get the job. Being asked to come in for an interview is now like looking at a job ad for me because it likely won't lead to anything.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    I do have to say that I do get very excited for interviews to the point of not being able to sleep. The idea of working with new technologies and equipment is exciting as well as a bump in pay is also a huge plus.

x2!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Aldur wrote:
    Granted I haven't had a lot of interviews since I've been in IT. Its been 4 interviews in the 1 1/2 year that I've been in this field, granted 2 of the 4 was for one job, and I've been offered the job every time. I do have to say that I do get very excited for interviews to the point of not being able to sleep. The idea of working with new technologies and equipment is exciting as well as a bump in pay is also a huge plus.

Did you have your Juniper certs when you interviewed for these jobs? Did these jobs involve working with Juniper equipment? If you did have the certs when you went in to interview do you think your Juniper certs were the deciding factor? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote:
    Did you have your Juniper certs when you interviewed for these jobs? Did these jobs involve working with Juniper equipment? If you did have the certs when you went in to interview do you think your Juniper certs were the deciding factor? Inquiring minds want to know!

The first job interview was for JTAC on the SSL/VPN team and at the time I had no certs, was going to school, but I hadn't had any networking classes yet. I was offered the job in the interview.

The second job interview was the a position on the router team at JTAC, at that time I only had my JNCIA-SSL cert, which pertained nothing to routing. I was also offered the position on the spot.

The next two interviews were with Qwest for the Lead internet engineer position. At the time of the fist interview I had my JNCIA-M, in-between the first and the second interview I picked up the JNCIS-M and then had the second interview. About a week later I was called and offered the job. In the mean time I flew the sunnyvale Cali. and picked up the JNCIP-M which helped with wage neogation, when the HR guy called he mentioned that I didn't have much experience but having the JNCIP-M was a huge plus.

The Qwest job is basically mainly Juniper routers in the backbone and Cisco switches on the edge so yes my experience and my certifications helped enourmously and I'm sure I would have not been offered the job without them.

-Bender
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I get excited about interviews. So excited, in fact, that I even wear pants to some of them.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your excitement and enthusiasm should show during an interview. If the interviewer doesn't feel you are interested in the job they will wait for someone who is.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    I get excited about interviews. So excited, in fact, that I even wear pants to some of them.

You mean pants are optional!!?!?!

If I would have only known before now, things would be different!

-Bender
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think we all get excited and nervous when it comes interview time. When my first and last main 9-5 job in IT was back home, I was an IT Technician for 5 years. I mean I didn't do anything flamethrowin, I managed a small network and did the usual... nothing big and fancy! Moved to the US and no one would touch me?... Then again being a new immigrant with the whole immigration debate in the headlines at that point in time didn't do much for me lol!!

One interview I did get into they only wanted to know how long I could stay in the country.. long story short, I got my A+, N+ and am working on 70-270 onward to the MCSA. I didn't get the job of course.. lol

Last IT interview I went to only offered a $1 more than I make now doing stupid office work? They said they had people with the MCSA/MCSE applying? I was screwed.. I mean I didn't need a $16 hour Tech job that much!

Last job "offer" (just a few days ago lol) I had was from a contractor offering $13 per hour and no benefits working.. in the middle of no where for govt agency that I know would be paying it's employees a lot more than $13 an hour with benefits.

What is going on with the job market, it's all gone to $hit here?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Aldur wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

You mean pants are optional!!?!?!

If I would have only known before now, things would be different!
    No, no, no, they're not optional. They're 'recommended'. However, I'll refer you to the quote below as an argument in favor of going sans-pants:
    dtlokee wrote:
    Your excitement and enthusiasm should show during an interview. If the interviewer doesn't feel you are interested in the job they will wait for someone who is.
    And there you have it, folks. I'm just going to leave it at that. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.