Anyone else find 70-293 quite....boring?

There's a lot of stuff in there like PKI and authentication etc. From my experience of implementation, i've always used the default 2003 security out of the box with only a few minor tweaks here and there, and i've never had any security breaches providing i've used a good hardware Firewall and a good central protection suite such as McAfee Total Protection or Kaspersky. Maybe for government releated domains or extremely confidential stuff, you might tweak a few settings here and there but since SP2 for 2k3 Server and 2k8, I think this is more than adequate for the majority of businesses. I just always make sure users meet my complexity requirements for passwords with lowercase and numbers in their passwords, and this has always been fine for me.

I can't wait for my next exam (as much as you CAN look forward to revising icon_wink.gif ) as it's Exchange and Active Directory which I enjoy. Thoughts on this?

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mr2nut wrote:
    There's a lot of stuff in there like PKI and authentication etc. From my experience of implementation, i've always used the default 2003 security out of the box with only a few minor tweaks here and there, and i've never had any security breaches providing i've used a good hardware Firewall and a good central protection suite such as McAfee Total Protection or Kaspersky. Maybe for government releated domains or extremely confidential stuff, you might tweak a few settings here and there but since SP2 for 2k3 Server and 2k8, I think this is more than adequate for the majority of businesses. I just always make sure users meet my complexity requirements for passwords with lowercase and numbers in their passwords, and this has always been fine for me.

I can't wait for my next exam (as much as you CAN look forward to revising icon_wink.gif ) as it's Exchange and Active Directory which I enjoy. Thoughts on this?

Youre not alone in that thinking. Just gotta grind this one out and move on. Thats pretty much what I did.

good luck man!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    I thought I might have got an earful saying if your not interested then don't do it icon_lol.gif I genuinely enjoy most aspects of it, but SQL and Security seems to bore me a bit. Like you said, i'll just have to grin and bear it, revise like hell to scrape a pass then move on to the stuff I enjoy.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mix in some labs or something. I don't often get excited over reading, but it's an entirely different experience when you see something in motion. PKI is a great example of this. For me, it was one of the most boring subjects to read about, but it was pretty fun to play around with.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Oh man do I ever agree. I'm not a major fan of this one. Up until this tests I've had fun learning the content on the exams, but this one... meh.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Ahmen to that.

This test is starting to drag on me. Partly because I failed the first time and I'm getting sidetracked with other projects. As Snadam said, just gotta grind it out. crash.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I didn't think it was all that bad. I enjoyed the 291 and 293. The 294 was the really boring one for me.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    Yeah, I found it boring, to be honest.
  • mickiosmickios Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually just signed up to this forum just to cry out how boring this exam is
    hate it and have it scheduled for 19/09
    good luck to everybody
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I think I figured out why it's boring. So far all the exams I've taken I can apply to my job, and actually help me. However, I'm not planning on deploying a new network or design a new office etc.. Which is pretty much what this book is all about, planning for a new deployment. So it doesn't apply to me. I would assume that's the case with several other of you IT guys, so it's not fun because it's not helping us now.

I mean maybe in the future this material will come in handy.

p.s. Starting chapter 9 on the Syngress book today, hope to finish the book this week.
    The reason why I find it so boring is because 99% of the time, MS Security out of the box is more than capable. These features (most of the time) are for HUGE companies who like to justify it for larger wages icon_wink.gif

It isn't quite as boring as it was originally after lab testing most stuff now, but it certainly doesn't appeal to me like most other aspects of IT do.
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is pretty challenging to get into... just spent 6 hours doing a Transcender test, my mind just kept wandering off.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Glad it's just not me. Seriously. I can't focus on this for nothing! I think I am like 3 hours in after 4 weeks.
    -Daniel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I suppose that it's because the 70-293 material feels like an extension of 70-291, and 'not quite' 70-298/70-299, you get this feeling of being stuck in limbo. I've got the same problem, I'm sort of treading water, trying to motivate myself to get through it all and take the test. On the one hand, my brain says "but I already finished 70-291, I don't want to keep churning away at it," and on the other it says "this'll give me some good lead-in studying to 70-298". Either way, I find myself distracted by one thing or another, and I keep having to go back and brush up on things I left to gather dust.

Keep at it, and know that we're suffering right along with you. After all, misery loves company. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm actually enjoying this one - does that make me weird? icon_cyclops.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    bertieb wrote:

Yes I think it does. You aren't into bondage and gimping too are you?! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote:

no, just makes you like undomiel...oh wait, nevermind... :D

I probably had the hardest time studying for this one. I thought this mostly because of personal issues that arose, but this test indeed is just not doing it for me. I really like the 294 material for some reason though... icon_scratch.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    *cracks the whip*

Slaves! All of you!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mr2nut wrote:
    bertieb wrote:

Yes I think it does. You aren't into bondage and gimping too are you?! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Is that an offer? icon_twisted.gif

Snadam - being like undomiel, thats a good thing surely :)

undomiel - you sound like my boss.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    *quietly tiptoes away*
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    bertieb wrote:
    I was going to say that undomiel sounds like my ex, but that's neither here nor there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    bertieb wrote:
    mr2nut wrote:
    bertieb wrote:

Is that an offer? icon_twisted.gif

Snadam - being like undomiel, thats a good thing surely :)

lol