*TechNotes* 70-210 Windows 2000 Pro

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
I just started writing a series of TechNotes the Windows XP 70-270 exam and decided to "convert" them to the 70-210 exam as there are so many similarities. The TechNotes are also available in a printer-friendly format, and eventually I will put them all together in a single PDF file. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions so I can edit/add it before it ends up in the PDF guide.

Here's the first one:

icon_arrow.gifInstalling Windows 2000 Professional
Covers system requirements, attended installations, unattended installations using Setup Manager, Sysprep and RIS, upgrading, service packs and troubleshooting.

icon_arrow.gifImplementing and Conducting Administration of Resources
Covers FAT, FAT32 and NTFS file systems, converting file systems, NTFS compressions, NTFS permissions, shared folders and share permissions.

icon_arrow.gifPrinting
Covers Windows 2000 local and network printing. Creating, configuring, sharing, securing and connecting to printers.

icon_arrow.gifStorage *NEW*
Covers storage types, dynamic and basic, spanning, striping, removable media and disk management tasks.

icon_arrow.gifBackup, Restore, Repair, and Recover *NEW*
Covers Backup, Restore, System State Data, ERD, Safe Mode, Last Know Good, Recovery Console and more.

icon_arrow.gifIntroduction to ADS
Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology. *NEW*

Johan :D

Comments

• spacemancwspacemancw Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The notes are good .... but I have been having trouble understanding winnt.exe and winnt32.exe

If you cannot boot from CD or u want more control over the install u use one of these. But from where do u run these programs? Do you boot up from a floppy that has winnt or winnt32? Do you copy winnt(32) from the CD to the hard drive and then run?

And what is the difference between the two. When do u use winnt and when do u use winnt32? You say "You can run winnt32.exe on Windows 9x, ME, NT, or 2000". Does that mean winnt is ONLY for Windows 3(.1) and is not used on 9x, ME, NT or 2k?

Also on my 2K server I ran setupmgr to create an answer file .. I ran thru the wizard, filled in all the answers, inserted the CD so it could copy files from the CD to the dist folder on the server. I edited the answer file by adding under user data ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-etc.

From my 2k pro client I mapped the dist share to H. In C prompt changed to H: ran winnt32 /unattend:10:unattend.txt and kept being directed to windows Help.

When i just typed unattend at the H prompt it began to install ... worked ok. But then I did the whole procedure again, same results accept now when I run unattend it says invalid product code. So I'm stuck .... I'm gonna re-install both server and client .. and see what happens.
    Yahoo Instant Messanger : spacemancw
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    spacemancw wrote:
    The notes are good .... but I have been having trouble understanding winnt.exe and winnt32.exe

If you cannot boot from CD or u want more control over the install u use one of these. But from where do u run these programs? Do you boot up from a floppy that has winnt or winnt32? Do you copy winnt(32) from the CD to the hard drive and then run?

You run winnt from the cd (boot with dos flop enabling cdrom mscdex...) if you can't boot from CD for example but there is no OS (such as 9x, ME, NT, or 2000) installed or from an installation folder. You runthis command from the command prompt.
    Does that mean winnt is ONLY for Windows 3(.1) and is not used on 9x, ME, NT or 2k?

No, you can always use winnt.exe for clean installations. Winnt32 is used for upgrades. it's like the windows version of winnt, it needs an existing OS (9x, ME, NT, or 2000) winnt is the 'DOS' version of setup.
    Also on my 2K server I ran setupmgr to create an answer file .. I ran thru the wizard, filled in all the answers, inserted the CD so it could copy files from the CD to the dist folder on the server. I edited the answer file by adding under user data ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-etc.

From my 2k pro client I mapped the dist share to H. In C prompt changed to H: ran winnt32 /unattend:10:unattend.txt and kept being directed to windows Help.

When I just typed unattend at the H prompt it began to install ... worked ok. But then I did the whole procedure again, same results accept now when I run unattend it says invalid product code. So I'm stuck .... I'm gonna re-install both server and client .. and see what happens.

You need to set the ProductKey instead of ProductID. icon_wink.gif The product key forms the basis for the product ID, which you can later see in the properties of My Computer, the Product ID is needed for Product Activation.

Thanks for the compliment on the TechNotes, the next one for 70-210 is almost ready, will cover file systems, ntfs compression and permissions and shared folders.
  • paulop1975paulop1975 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

First of all I'd like to introduce and excuse myself for my weak english. I'm Paulo from Portugal and I trying to get Microsoft Certification, although I don't have any money for courses.
    I've been trying to find some "pirated" manuals in order to at least study the minimum.
    That's why I'd like to congratulate you for this unpaid work you're having making these manuals by yourself.
    I'll make good use of them.

Thnx once again.
    icon_wink.gif
    Paulo Pimenta
    [2kool4u] @ irc.PTnet.org
    Lisbon - Portugal
    ;)
  • spacemancwspacemancw Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok ... I got the winnt working

I added Target = winnt

it paused during setup and asked me to hit L if I wanted to delete current OS in winnt

how can I edit the answerfile to do this unattended?
    how can I edit the answerfile to delete all partitions, make a 4gb C drive, NTFS and install the OS there?

thanx

Roger
    Yahoo Instant Messanger : spacemancw
  • cchilds2SB9cchilds2SB9 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_redface.gif Good afternoon all, I just want to tell the webmaster thank you for creating a site where information is enless! I am trying for my MCSE and will use this site for info and to give if I can. Again thanks!
    :D
  • javjav Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx men the note are awesome, a great site this is. I had allittle problem with the % sign in the command line, what dose it relly mean or stand for. [/quote]
    Just added the Printing TechNotes for the 70-210 exam:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/70210/printing.shtml

The XP version is on it's way, and will be a bit more extensive.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thank you! I found these notes and forum very useful! I wish I would have discovered this place a few years ago.
  • maxxammaxxam Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all you unpaid work guys. I've flunked my first attempt at this test and am looking forward to finding answers to the missing links that held me back. icon_wink.gif
    Thanks for the kind words people, such keeps us motivated :D

Pavlov, our moderator for the the Windows 2000 forums, has been away for some time, but she is back! And she wrote her first TechNotes for our site:

Introduction to Active Directory Services
    Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology.

Comments and suggestions are much appreciated...
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    *takes a bow*

thank you :D
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • SniperHunterSniperHunter Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice notes man! Thanks ;)
    "You know what they say, Microsoft could sell sand in the desert, but Novell couldn't sell crack in Harlem"
  • coookiescoookies Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All i can say is Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
    for sharing your note.. angel.gif
  • jpincajpinca Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent Notes..Look forward to more..i am currently studying for this one...and these notes are awesome!....thanks alot
  • Scarface2Scarface2 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the notes Webmaster excellent work they are of great help icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks guys! Nice to be appreciated :D

Here's the Windows 2000 Professional version of the Storage TechNotes:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/70210/storage.shtml
    And here is the next one:

Backup, Restore, Repair, and Recover

Just a couple of more and I'll combine them all in a PDF... :)
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Johan,

The local Museum was set up FAT32 - I recently convinced them to go to NTFS, so tested it on my own practice system (they are on XP). I am sure that Win2K systems must be done this way too, as my books are Win2K.

When investing the procedure, I found "things that have to happen first".

Other things just made sense to do first.

1. Disk Clean-up - don't convert things that you will throw away to save time.
    2. Defrag - (maybe in safe mode) to maximize usage. Also, it is REQUIRED to have a single large file for the fsutil command. (fscvrt must be in root)
    3. Create a file to hold the new format -
    fsutil file createnew X:fscvrt 300000000 (where X=drive letter)
    (You need to make it more than 1% of the total disk size)
    4. I suggest you defrag again, as XP may still not have done it right the first time.
    5. Convert - convert X:\fs:ntfs /v /x /cvtarea:fscvrt
    6. May need to run "Network Connection Wizard" to re-initalize the NTFS permissions on folders (I did).

Note that convert will run chkdsk /f and autochk to look for disk errors, and my re-start the PC several times as it 'fixes' things. The conversion itself should take less than 10 minutes on a few gigabytes.

The created file will have the un-needed space returned to the system.

All this is from the Win2k Pro book, and Win Help files on my XP system. There are some other small restrictions - read the complete information in the Windows manuals, but I think I added steps here to cover each instance.
    Hi crabeater,

Any reason in particular you addressed this post to me and replied it to the TechNotes topic?
    2. Defrag - (maybe in safe mode) to maximize usage. Also, it is REQUIRED to have a single large file for the fsutil command. (fscvrt must be in root)
    3. Create a file to hold the new format -
    fsutil file createnew X:fscvrt 300000000 (where X=drive letter)
    (You need to make it more than 1% of the total disk size)
    The process of creating an empty file using fsutil is not required to convert the file system to NTFS. You only need to do that if you use the convert command with the /cvtarea parameter[/u], which is optional. The recommended size for XP is 1KB multiplied by the number of folder/files on the volume.
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Offhand, I'd say there was a mixup in my clicking - I intended to PM that info so you could evaluate it, and use if you found no problems with it. Sorry. icon_redface.gif

I mainly used fsutil because of MS's comment "Use of the /CVTAREA parameter can result in a less fragmented file system after conversion". To me, they were saying that NOT doing it could cause problems; hence the 'required' comment. And the HELP in Windows, to me at least, indicated you really had to create the new file, though the convert command does not state that; I didn't remember the size suggestion, but extrapolated the % from what my system indicated, plus some for good measure - perhaps not a good idea, though it could not hurt to use more since the extra space is recovered later. (again, why it was to be a PM)

Thanks for clearing things up. Your response seems to indicate that they are using the file for holding the new NTFS information as it is created.

While I am here; in the Storage Technote, Removable Media, you state" Under Storage click Removable Storage. If you select Full in the View menu"...

My systems do not give me the full option. I suspect it is because of the devices persent - the XP has only floppy, CD & DVD writables, and the Win2000Pro has floppy & Zip disk drives and a CD (read only). What do you think?

BTW: Thanks for the technotes - Your NETWORK+ notes really helped me pass by giving me more than the class I took, and pointing out important areas to study. :D:D:Dicon_exclaim.gif