Me too

astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
Since everyone else is posting about passing this one, I figure I better jump in to. ;)

Passed today with an 850.

This was my first CompTIA exam and I have to say - good god they need to fire whoever does their quality control! Out of 100 questions I had 5 on the exact same piece of technology. 3 of the questions were essentially the same question posed 3 different ways. Combine that with the fact that the exam was riddled with grammatical, spelling and poorly worded questions/answers and it gave me a really bad overall impression of the CompTIA exam development process.

As for the resources I used, I decided to try something a little different and have a go with some "audio learning" on my iPod so I bought the PrepLogic Lecture Series for the Security+ exam, and while the audio itself was clear and the trainer did his job it didn't even come close to the depth required to be able to pass this exam. For someone new to IT using only that as their resource and based on the questions I got, a score of 300 something wouldn't be unrealistic. On its own it just doesn't cut it, not even close.

Knowing I needed something else, I picked up the Syngress Security+ book based on the recommendation of some of you guys here, and its the opposite - "comprehensive" is an understatement. :) I couldn't bring myself to read past the first chapter since it was soooo much review and I just wanted a recap to refresh my mind on the things I don't work with and some of the terminology. That's when I found the "Fast Track" PowerPoint slides on the CD - thank you to the author for including that. I flipped through the notes on those slides and read in depth about anything I didn't understand.

Ran through the different Transcender practice exams a couple times on Monday/Tuesday night which helped me to focus on the bits I still didn't get.

So final score:

PrepLogic Security+ Lecture Series
thumbs_down.gif

Syngress Security+ Study Guide
thumbs_up.gif

Transcender Security+ Practice Exam
thumbs_up.gif

Comments

• bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    astorrs wrote:
    Since everyone else is posting about passing this one, I figure I better jump in to. ;)

Passed today with an 850.

This was my first CompTIA exam and I have to say - good god they need to fire whoever does their quality control! Out of 100 questions I had 5 on the exact same piece of technology. 3 of the questions were essentially the same question posed 3 different ways. Combine that with the fact that the exam was riddled with grammatical, spelling and poorly worded questions/answers and it gave me a really bad overall impression of the CompTIA exam development process.

As for the resources I used, I decided to try something a little different and have a go with some "audio learning" on my iPod so I bought the PrepLogic Lecture Series for the Security+ exam, and while the audio itself was clear and the trainer did his job it didn't even come close to the depth required to be able to pass this exam. For someone new to IT using only that as their resource and based on the questions I got, a score of 300 something wouldn't be unrealistic. On its own it just doesn't cut it, not even close.

Knowing I needed something else, I picked up the Syngress Security+ book based on the recommendation of some of you guys here, and its the opposite - "comprehensive" is an understatement. :) I couldn't bring myself to read past the first chapter since it was soooo much review and I just wanted a recap to refresh my mind on the things I don't work with and some of the terminology. That's when I found the "Fast Track" PowerPoint slides on the CD - thank you to the author for including that. I flipped through the notes on those slides and read in depth about anything I didn't understand.

Ran through the different Transcender practice exams a couple times on Monday/Tuesday night which helped me to focus on the bits I still didn't get.

So final score:

PrepLogic Security+ Lecture Series
    thumbs_down.gif

Syngress Security+ Study Guide
    thumbs_up.gif

Transcender Security+ Practice Exam
    thumbs_up.gif

Congrats,

what about the SBS exam?
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bjaxx wrote:
    Congrats,

what about the SBS exam?
    Updated my sig, just for you. ;)
  • wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    CompTIA icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a well-known fact that monkeys are responsible for crafting 99% of the content found on a CompTIA exam. The other 1% being the work of Al Gore.

Now, how are you planning on feeding your family this week? The exorbitant price of the exam surely cut into your weekly food allowance, no?

In short, CompTIA should be avoided like the plague unless, of course, you need one of the "exams" to meet a job or elective requirement. Otherwise, just study the material and forgo the test. That way, you'll save money while still preparing yourself for more rigorous topics within the security domain.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!

Yeah, CompTIA questions suck and many of them had me scratching my head due to the wording icon_scratch.gif . The cost is obscene too (way too much $$$$$/££££££)

Still , at least you won't have to do it again.

icon_cool.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats astorrs!! :D
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

With the addition of the new character (the plus sign) I believe you have turned your certification list into an assembly algorithm.

pixel.asm (how to display a pixel on the screen)

; a short program to check how
    ; set and get pixel color works

name "pixel"

org 100h

mov ah, 0 ; set display mode function.
    mov al, 13h ; mode 13h = 320x200 pixels, 256 colors.
    int 10h ; set it!

mov cx, 10 ; column
    mov dx, 20 ; row
    mov al, 15 ; white
    mov ah, 0ch ; put pixel
    int 10h

xor al, al ; al = 0

mov cx, 10 ; column
    mov dx, 20 ; row
    mov ah, 0dh ; get pixel
    int 10h

; pause the screen for dos compatibility:

;wait for keypress
    mov ah,00
    int 16h

; return to text mode:
    mov ah,00 ; set display mode function.
    mov al,03 ; normal text mode 3
    int 10h ; set it!

ret
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote:
    Congrats.

With the addition of the new character (the plus sign) I believe you have turned your certification list into an assembly algorithm.

pixel.asm (how to display a pixel on the screen)

; a short program to check how
    ; set and get pixel color works

name "pixel"

org 100h

mov ah, 0 ; set display mode function.
    mov al, 13h ; mode 13h = 320x200 pixels, 256 colors.
    int 10h ; set it!

mov cx, 10 ; column
    mov dx, 20 ; row
    mov al, 15 ; white
    mov ah, 0ch ; put pixel
    int 10h

xor al, al ; al = 0

mov cx, 10 ; column
    mov dx, 20 ; row
    mov ah, 0dh ; get pixel
    int 10h

; pause the screen for dos compatibility:

;wait for keypress
    mov ah,00
    int 16h

; return to text mode:
    mov ah,00 ; set display mode function.
    mov al,03 ; normal text mode 3
    int 10h ; set it!

ret

And his cert list will probably be that long within a year icon_eek.gif

Congrats!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Haven't seen assembly in a while. Glad to see I can still understand it!

Congratulations on the Security+ astorrs! I totally agree about the quality control.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!!!
    I remember this one being really fun to study for, but a terrible one to take.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

I was beginning to look down on you for not having your security+ ....kidding of course

.....like you really need another cert. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    congratulations astorrs :)

I start studying security+ too, I'm trying to be trendy too :P I'm using Sybex book though
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE