Options

Hello

mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and to the world of certs. I recently was conferred my BSIT and I'm currently studying for the Security+ Exam. I'm starting here becasue it will become a mandatory standard for all DoD IT personnel, and I'm looking at a new spot in our IT department. I was curious as to if anyone has any advice regarding where I should start for each different area of cert ie. Microsoft, Linux, etc. Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    We have separate forums for each vendor cert (CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.), each with a lot of people who either have or are studying for practically any certs you'd want.

And welcome to TechExams.net! :D
  • Options
    mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks JD. I was asking here because I couldn't seem to find the exact place to figure out which cert was which so as to pose my question.
  • Options
    All of the "+" certs are CompTIA, so as a Security+ candidate you'd hang out here. The Microsoft, Cisco, and security forums are easy to find. Are you more of a systems admin person or a network tech person? Or perhaps a software/applications person?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums :)

Security+ is a good theoretical introduction to the world of security, I'm doing it myself right now :)

My personal opinion is, depends on your job. If you're working with Microsoft products, then start studying for Microsoft certifications, you can use your security+ to get credit for MCSA:Security.

If you have good theoretical networking background from your BS.c, then go for Cisco CCNA, if you dont have the theory, then go for Network+ then CCNA. Even if you dont work with Cisco devices, CCNA is a good networking background for you.

My advice is, study the technologies you're working with, get good experience, then take the exams, some people might disagree with this strategy though.

Good luck:)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    jmattjmatt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi
    I am new here too. :D
  • Options
    jmatt wrote:
    hi
    I am new here too. :D
    Welcome! :D

What are you interested in certification-wise?