Options

disable changing proxy settings issues vi9a AD

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Forum,
I am having a hard time with my GPO. I apply AD settings for everything i want to, but 'disable changing proxy settings' is not working. I enable this featuer under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Internet Explorer. Then i run 'gpupdat' on the workstation, but the LAN settings are not grayed out. Has anyone seen this issue? Again, all of my other AD settings are working, just no this one.

Thank you,
Dat
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    If you run RSOP.msc on the workstation you applied the policy to does the setting you configured show up as being applied?
  • Options
    Technowiz wrote:
    If you run RSOP.msc on the workstation you applied the policy to does the setting you configured show up as being applied?
    When i run the 'rsop.msc' command, it only shows the applied settings, but does not show the 'disable changin proxy settings'. Nice utility to check which policies are being applied, thank you. At this point, what would i check to see why this policy is not being applied, but every other policy is applying correctly?

thank you,
    Arrakis
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Run gpresult /scope user and see why your gpo is not being applied. That should give you a clue as to whether to check your security filtering or where you are linking to in your OU structure. Also check your event log and see if there are any userenv errors showing up.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Run gpresult /scope user and see why your gpo is not being applied. That should give you a clue as to whether to check your security filtering or where you are linking to in your OU structure. Also check your event log and see if there are any userenv errors showing up.
    Thanks, will try these suggestions.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    i ran 'gpresult /scope user', odd thing is - it doesn't even show the group policies which are working under the "applied group policy objects' catagory. Not sure what is going on at this point.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You applied it to the User Configuration. Are there USERS in the OU you linked the GPO to? It doesn't apply to computers the way you did it, only users.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    You applied it to the User Configuration. Are there USERS in the OU you linked the GPO to? It doesn't apply to computers the way you did it, only users.
    this is what i have

Local domain
    --Computers
    --users
    --vista computers
    --special users
    --special machines

I have my policy applied to the coputer OU, but not the the "local domain" OU. Every OU is under the Local domain OU, but i only have my policy applied to the Computer OU. I need the policy applied the the User OU as well?

thank you,
    Jason
    Arrakis
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    hey you are the best, all of you are teh best...that was my issue...can anyone recommend more reading material? I am just doing this at home, and i have nothing to guide me yet. Which microsoft book is a good starter? Do i need new resources for 2007 or can i get a way with 2003 resources right now? Do you see 2003 be phased out anytime soon?

thank you again...all of you have made my day.
    cheers!!!!
    Arrakis
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    what is best/good practice - to have one policy for both computer and user configs, or make (2) policies for computers and users and apply? Would it be easier to trouble shoot or should i keep everything in one policy?

thank you,
    Arrakis
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The way I do it is to break out related things into their own policy. It makes it easier for me to manage at least since I won't have to worry about the policy doing more than what is listed in the name. I believe I read somewhere that is how Microsoft implements GPO internally as well. I'm not sure if that makes it best practices or not though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    The way I do it is to break out related things into their own policy. It makes it easier for me to manage at least since I won't have to worry about the policy doing more than what is listed in the name. I believe I read somewhere that is how Microsoft implements GPO internally as well. I'm not sure if that makes it best practices or not though.
    So if i want to 'disable changing proxy settings' and "enable disk Quotes" make (2) policies?

Thank you,
    Arrakis
  • Options
    Question - can I limit the max. connection speed of a port on a local machine with AD? I have a SQL database which i pull data from a remote machine, but i want to limit the max. bandwidth my sql uses, is there a way i can limit the max. speed to 256kbps via AD?

thank you,
    Arrakis