Syngress vs. Sybex study guides

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
I started studying security+ last week, I started with Sybex book from my employer. I finished almost two chapters, nothing new so far because the concepts I know back from college and from my online readings.

Anyway, today I got the Syngress book from a friend. Compared to Sybex(roughly 500 pages), the Syngress book is about 800 pages.

I don't know, should I continue with the Sybex book since it's mostly review except for few topics that are new to me ?? or should I leave it and continue from the Sybex book ??

Personally I think I'll start from chapter 3 from the Sybex book, but I'd like to get any input from you :)
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, mebbe go a bit through both and see which you think you'll benefit most from.
    Personally Syngress worked wonders for me.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Syngress book is great. Just skim what you know and spend a decent amount of time with the rest of it.

Edit: I have absolutely no clue what that poster below me is talking about *whistles innocently*
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    The Syngress book is great. Just skim what you don't know and spend a decent amount of time with the rest of it.

Dynamik I hope you meant that the other way araound! icon_lol.gif
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    +1 for the Syngress Book
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm completing my studies from Syngress right now

Thanks fellows :)

• mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got my Syngress book in the mail yesterday. Hopefully it will be as helpful as most say it is!
  • gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started preparing for the Security+ exams few days ago with the Sybex book, however after reading comments from members in this forum, I switched to the Syngress book. I have to admit that this book is very comprehensive and explains some concepts very well. I think the best approach is to use the two together...i.e read a chapter from Sybex and read the same chapter from Syngress. That way you will be covered either way.

What do you guys think of the " Security+ passport " book by Mike Myers? It is necessary to have or nice to have?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    gwamaka wrote:
    I started preparing for the Security+ exams few days ago with the Sybex book, however after reading comments from members in this forum, I switched to the Syngress book. I have to admit that this book is very comprehensive and explains some concepts very well. I think the best approach is to use the two together...i.e read a chapter from Sybex and read the same chapter from Syngress. That way you will be covered either way.

What do you guys think of the " Security+ passport " book by Mike Myers? It is necessary to have or nice to have?

I dont think I'll have time to use both books.

I read that Mike Myers book is a waste of time, I never read it though.

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikka07 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    The Syngress book is great. Just skim what you don't know and spend a decent amount of time with the rest of it.

Dynamik I hope you meant that the other way araound! icon_lol.gif
    Don't mind dynamik, his memory isn't what it used to be. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    The Mike Meyers Passport book is a decent introduction to the material. By no means is it adequate as a single study source.
    I used the Sybex and thought it did a good job.
    The Syngress expounds the concepts a bit more. I used it as a secondary source, but didn't really need it.
    For additional info on PKI, I found my 70-290 exam book from Syngress helpful.
    Also helpful: ExamCram 2 practice questions book
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.