MCSE 2003 or MCITP 2008

jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to decide whether or not I should pursue MCSE for server 2003 or MCITP for server 2008 because I am afraid by the time I get my MCSE, my skills will have become obsolete. I am not sure how many companies have upgraded or are upgrading to 2008.

So I am unsure which path to take. What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    MCSE will have name recognition for quite a while. Plus plenty of companies will still be running on 2003 for a while to come. In my recent job search I've run across one company asking for an MCITP:EA. Where I've interviewed at I've run across one company using 2008, and no that wasn't the previous company. You could always run the MCSE course and then do the MCITP:EA upgrade path afterwords.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    There is also an upgrade path for MCSA so you could always just go for that and then decide from there whether to finish out the MCSE or just upgrade to MCITP.
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    x1 MCSE 2003. This will still be sought after for sometime. I know some companys are still using win2k. (the 1 I work for as example). You can always later upgrade to MCITP from MCSE 2003.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCSE all the way. We are still going to be supporting 2003 networks through 2011 and on.

Here are my random reasons in a random order..

1) MCSE training material is easier to come by and cheaper
    2) MCSE has MUCH better branding
    3) MCSE has an upgrade path to the MCITP
    4) The install base for 2003 over 2008 will remain higher for the foreseeable future.
    5) Most envionments will be a mix of 2003/2008 so you are going to have to know both
    -Daniel
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    All excellent reasons. I can't wait to finish up my MCSE so I can take the 649 exam and get 3 MCTS certifications in one shot! icon_eek.gif
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I vote for the MCSE as well. It's had 10+ years of marketing, and it'll take most non-technical (i.e. HR) folk a long time to realise what an MCITP is. The topics and skills you'll learn from the 2003 track won't go to waste and they'll be valid for the 2008 track. Then, you have a direct upgrade path to 2008 too and be able to support both products.

Good luck in whatever route you choose!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln