Avaya certs

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
So since I can't sleep I decided I would check out the tech I hope to be working with soon. I was really interested in them when I heard they had certs so I signed up for their Avaya U and I must say their site sucks compared to Cisco's :P

So I was curious about how many others here have at least looked into them and what they thought.

I also noticed they honor a CompTIA cert (Convergence+) and that is one I have never heard of before. So I was also wondering what that one is like as well.

Basically I would love to pick up some more certs but would rather go for the cheaper option (I know how much CompTIA charges, but not Avaya) and I am also curious what the Avaya ones are like. Anyone know?

Edit: Found some more info...

To start down the Avaya road to ACA you have to do either the Convergence+ or the Convergence Technologies Professional (CTP) with the CTP being cheaper at $175
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    The only thing I know about them is that I tried to apply for a company that wanted experience in their gear but they said they weren't willing to train icon_cry.gif

Are they competitor with Cisco's VoIP stuff?
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    The only thing I know about them is that I tried to apply for a company that wanted experience in their gear but they said they weren't willing to train icon_cry.gif

That they are. The company I have been interviewing with uses it but also doesn't offer training with it... They said it would be a "learn as you go/on the job" training.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    They are one of the IP PBX market leaders with around 90% of the Fortune 500 companies using them for something and a little over a million customers. In some ways Cisco is the competitor - even Avaya's new CEO is the former EVP in charge of development at Cisco. ;)

They are also making impressive gains into the Unified Communications space (against Cisco and Microsoft who have divided the market thus far - IBM is also making serious inroads there).

Juniper is also heavily partnered with Avaya (and has been for over 2 years) to the point that there are modules for their J-series routers sold by Avaya, which allows them together to be very competitive against Cisco in the "all-in-one" (IP telephony, routing and security) branch office device space.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On a side note this is what I was emailed the requirements of the job were...
    General network support experience
    Customer service and support experience
    Customer relationship skills
    Personal communication skills
    Network design experience
    Network analysis/protocol analyzer knowledge
    Analog, cable, fiber support - wiring and tools experience
    Experience working in a manufacturing environment
    Wireless network support
    Cisco and HP switch and router knowledge
    AVAYA VoIP PBX support
    Nortel Meridian PBX support
    Netview/ITM monitor software - basic knowledge
    Voice mail system administration and support - Octel/AVAYA preferred
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I checked out the CTP and it looks like something I would be interested in. I have been getting really into multiple vendor technologies in VoIP lately and would like a vendor neutral cert like this. The only material I saw was training courses offered by the TIA and they were quite expensive. You even have to pay $30 for their assessment exam!

I did see a few things available on Amazon, but still rather expensive. Anyone have anymore information about training materials?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.