What books to read? EDIT: Passed

Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Between CCNP exams, I think I'm gonna do Security+.

What books are the best on the market?
And the new version of the exam, when does it take effect?
Are there books that cover this new exam?

Thank you.

Comments

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Deltah_ wrote:
    Between CCNP exams, I think I'm gonna do Security+.

What books are the best on the market?
    And the new version of the exam, when does it take effect?
    Are there books that cover this new exam?

Thank you.

The new exam comes out later this year, but the current exam won't retire until next year. The study materials for the current objectives have been developed and refined for years, so I would take the current Security+ exam if only for that reason.

The Syngress Security+ book is usually considered one of the best and I found it very good. I read ExamCram2 and it was old but decent. The Syngress book and the technotes here would probably get you ready.
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know everybody is different on how they study and test this is just what worked for me....
    (Now, keep in mind that I studied for 8 days before sitting the test but I have been exposed to a number of these topics over the years)

I got the exam cram 2 combo deal which has the larger book and a smaller book that has a cd with 700+ questions on it.

I did 5x 50 question tests as my initial gauge of my knowledge. I would mark and review any missed questions then immediately do the test again using only the missed questions. On the areas I was having a tough time I would go to the big book and read like mad! I did that for the first two or three days. After that I would do basically the same thing running through 100 question versions of the test, mark missed questions, review them, test with only the missed questions. Rinse and repeat. I did that for the last 5 days right up until an hour before the test.

I know some people won't like my method but hey its what worked for me and I did pass the test!

No matter what material you get to study from understand the different access control methods, understand encryption and PKI until you know it backwards and forwards, understand symmetric vs asymmetric (and which algorithms use each method), block cipher vs stream cipher, understand the concepts of virus, worm, logic bomb, and trojan horse and what makes them different. But don't forget you list of ports and common services. Since you are studying about LDAP, Kerberos, PKI, SSL and the likes know what port(s) they all use!

Good luck on your test.
  • mbock7mbock7 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Geez contentpro you really did exam cram!

I get my sybex book in the mail soon and hopefully i can read and retain the information, but i dont think i could cram all of it in 8 days. But very impressive
    --Matt
  • Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, I bought Sybex and Exam Cram2 + I used Google a lot in the past for other certifications and I'm going to do the same thing.

I'm going to study maybe 40 hours a week, so how much time do I need to be ready ?

I don't have a lot experience in the security but with other certifications I got some knowledge of many things.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should consider getting the the Syngress book as well.

I'd think 1-2 months would be doable, maybe faster at that level of intensity.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Deltah_ wrote:
    So, I bought Sybex and Exam Cram2 + I used Google a lot in the past for other certifications and I'm going to do the same thing.

I'm going to study maybe 40 hours a week, so how much time do I need to be ready ?

I don't have a lot experience in the security but with other certifications I got some knowledge of many things.

You're going to study 40 hours a week?! I'd say 1 or 2 weeks would be enough. That is some hardcore studying. :D
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, foolish me I started studying for the SSCP this weekend and I grabbed the official SSCP cbk (which has been gathering dust on my shelf for a little over a month) and started doing my reading. I had another great resource at my fingertips which I totally overlooked. The SSCP cbk has some great info on a number of the same items contained on the Security+. I felt really foolish because there were some areas that I know I could have done better on if I only had a better resource. So here I sit kicking myself because I overlooked the obvious... So if you are thinking about sitting the SSCP after the Security+ do yourself a favor and consider this as additional study material. but just to be clear I would just use the cbk to review any concepts you are just not grasping. You may cause yourself so headaches if you try to study the SSCP cbk cover to cover while studying the Security+.
    I finished Sybex and ExamCram2 books.
    I take tests from this site and others from the web.
    I know that Kerberos uses port 88 :)

I also have a CompTIA instructor book that I'm reading now.
    I have PrepLogic for practice tests and I use one of the ExamCram CD with 700 questions from MeasureUp (old stuff).

So maybe in 2 weeks I will take my exam.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Good luck and +1 again for the syngress book!
    Are the TestOut questions helpful for the exam ?
  • ScottyPLoScottyPLo Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the McGraw Hill All-In-One book and it teaches the whole of security and helped
    me understand the material.

Also right before I went into the test I read The Sybex Fast Pass Security+ Book Cover to Cover It doesn’t go into detail on anything but will give you the core stuff you need for the test.
    Basically it teaches you the test not the subject of the test

Either way stick with at least two books to cover everything

Good Luck
    Who wants to die and leave a good looking corpse I want to slide across the finish line with a shot of Jager in my hand, bruised battered and beaten saying that was one hell of a ride :)
    I passed the test this morning with 900/900.

Question Topics :

MAC
    IPSec
    All kinds of Policies
    Types of attacks
    Kerberos
    Wireless Security

How are the 90 questions that are marked selected? Is it random?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. I was going to recommend a couple of books to pick up as additional reading, but it looks like you got by without 'em. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations !! :)

What material did you use to pass ??

I got **** busy with work, I'm still in chapter 3 syngress bok icon_sad.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    UnixGuy wrote:
    Congratulations !! :)

What material did you use to pass ??

I got **** busy with work, I'm still in chapter 3 syngress bok icon_sad.gif
    Deltah_ wrote:

We're all grown ups here...

Congrats BTW
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
    I used PrepLogic and TestOut too.

The perfect score surprised me a little bit but after have understanding the concept of the BEST answer, the questions were more easy.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Wow, congrats!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□