Security+ harder than Network+?

AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if it would be better taking Net+ before Security+ or visa versa. I know they are probably harder for different people but was just wondering. Thanks

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would do Network+ first as there are some parts of Security+ that assume at least a basic understanding of routing, firewalls, VLANs, etc.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    I would do Network+ first as there are some parts of Security+ that assume at least a basic understanding of routing, firewalls, VLANs, etc.

There are some aspects of security that are networking derived. Better off studying Network+ first as astrorrs mentioned.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    CompTIA recommends that you have hardware and network knowledge before you get security+. It's better to have both A+ and Network+ before Security+.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    A+ --> Network+ --> Security+

That's the usual order...
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Well noticed you need a 760 something in order to pass Security+ whereas that is much lower for A+ and Network+. Security+ is definitely harder just for that reason alone. I recommend taking A+ and Network+ first. What you learn will help you with Security+, you'll need all the help you can get for that one, I'm sure. I'm working on my A+ then I'm going to tackle Security+.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I appreciate it. I accidently ordered the Security+ books so I will save those and order the Network+ books. You saved me a lot of frustration
  • morpheousmorpheous Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I attend a technical institute,you start on whatever course they are currently on,i joined at the beggining of security+,then network+,then mcp 70-270 and the last one was A+ i had no choice being thats the way my school does it,retarded! icon_rolleyes.gif
    Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The theory is you would do the A+, Net+, Lin+ prior to Sec+.

What are your goals? Why are you going for this cert in the first place?
    -Daniel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Daniel333 wrote:
    The theory is you would do the A+, Net+, Lin+ prior to Sec+.
    I'll second that. The more you know going into Security+, the more you get out of it. Having the Windows and hardware knowledge from A+, the networking knowledge from Network+, as well as the Linux and Unix knowledge from Linux+ will really help you understand more of the topics covered in Security+.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • morpheousmorpheous Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have fellow students that were pissed that they started out with network+ or security+ they wanted to start off with either A+ or a MS cert like 70-270 but again,the institute does'nt care about anything but money.

so would you say i am ready to take the linux+ cert now? being i got all 4 certs in the order i have them on my certifications field.
    Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    morpheous wrote:
    I have fellow students that were pissed that they started out with network+ or security+ they wanted to start off with either A+ or a MS cert like 70-270 but again,the institute does'nt care about anything but money.

so would you say i am ready to take the linux+ cert now? being i got all 4 certs in the order i have them on my certifications field.
    You're definitely ready. The Linux+ assumes no more background than the A+ does, but having a little bit of hardware and networking knowledge helps, as does translating "how do I do <blank> on Linux like I did on Windows" is also fairly helpful, especially when it comes to command-line tools. You'll learn a whole lot of new things, very different from what you're used to from the A+ and MCP training. Good luck. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ken.perez.8541ken.perez.8541 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I concur, Security+ is by far the hardest of the CompTIA exams that I have taken. I was disappointed with my study materials. I passed this test by the skin of my teeth, like 780 and you need 764 to pass. Network+ needs a lower score alos, like 554 out of 900. Plus a lot of the Security+ stuff has its foundation in Network+ knowledge.
    A+ IT Technician, A+ Depot Technician, A+ Remote Support Technician, Network+, Security+, Server+

WIP: CCNA, CWNA
  • vitalvital Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i took network+ first before taking the security+.

i got around a 640 on network+ and a 840 on security+