Options

Does anyone here uses any other voice products?

I am comfortable with working with callmanager 4.X and CCME. But I want to learn other voice products. I was doing some research and came across Asterisk which is open source. Does anyone here have experience with Asterisks? And can they help someone like me who has no experience with it whats so ever get it up and running? Thanks.
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    nice recording, nuance, IP ContactCentre, UNity connection, .. cisco IVR. we use ccm 5.1
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have worked some with Asterisk products. If you have a good understanding of SIP you will be able to jump in and figure most of it out on the fly.

An Asterisk expert I knew always had a copy of Asterisk the Future of Telephony with him. I haven't had a chance to read it myself yet, but have heard good reviews from people who have.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    There are plenty of guides out there for Asterisk. You can also get bootable CD versions of Asterisk if you just want to get something up and running quickly to play.

I've had the misfortune to use some early versions of a Nortel BCM VoIP PABX aka an Intel PC in an custom box with some special cards. It ran a totally stable and bug free version of NT4... Thankfully they came to their senses and in a later version of the software, they changed it to a Linux based system which has been much more reliable.
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    Nice I just found trixbox it is a GUI version of Asterisk. currently playing around with it to see how good it is.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Brekeke has a free version of their SIP server you can download. I use it to mess around with SIP headers and general playing around. I don't think their stuff is highly used in the enterprise, but its ok to learn about SIP call flow on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.