IE links not working

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
I'm running IE6 in a college classroom.
When students click a link that usually opens a new button, nothing happens. At the bottom left of the browser it says, "error on page." I've tried running a microsoft hotfix for the issue, but it doesn't even run. Any ideas?
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While spyware and things like that can mess up the way IE functions, it could also be a legitimate error on the page. You'll get that error when there's a problem running a script on the page. An easy way to check (unless the page was designed specifically for IE) would be to install another browser, such as Firefox or Opera and try with that. Is it happening to all users or just a limited number? If it's everyone, I can almost guarantee you that it's a problem on the page (or you have a massive virus outbreak).
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Also what sort of link is it? Javascript? If it is javascript that is supposed to be opening a new window and there are errors on the page then the javascript could possibly be broken. I would first try clearing the cache and reloading the page then see if things will work for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Are there any add-ons loaded that block the execution of Javascript or prevent pop-ups? If so, disable them. If you know the page is safe, try using minimal security settings and see if that "fixes" the problem too.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    We have this software on the machines called Deepfreeze which puts the machine back into a state that we define once the machine is restarted. So, spyware is not the issue.

Also, the webpage is working properly as it works throughout the rest of campus and is liked to from the same webpage.

I tried restoring all default browser settings, lowering all security settings, disabling popups and I even tried this knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679

Nothing is working. I may have to create a new image and start over.... icon_cry.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    The other computers on campus are also using the same version of Windows and IE6 at the same patch level and the page works for them? Do you have all of the latest updates installed on the bad computer? Maybe this is an issue fixed by an IE6 hotfix.

Just as an experiment, try installing IE7 or the IE8 beta and see if that works. Or possibly, load FireFox 3 and install the IETab add-on and see if that does/doesn't work.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I have seen an issue where javascript is broken which caused any java links to fail, fixed by reinstalling windows scripting.

-Travis
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Sorry, but I have to ask the question.....Have you tried to simply restart your computer?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    theseman wrote:
    I have seen an issue where javascript is broken which caused any java links to fail, fixed by reinstalling windows scripting.
    I've seen that on machines where the scripting never worked, but one wonders what would cause the scripting host to break.

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    JDMurray wrote:
    theseman wrote:
    I've seen that on machines where the scripting never worked, but one wonders what would cause the scripting host to break.

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP

You mean other then the fact that its Windows? :D

Corrupt .dll, virus, probably a few possibilities.
    theseman wrote:
    You mean other then the fact that its Windows? :D

Corrupt .dll, virus, probably a few possibilities.
    My guess is an app's installer over-wrote the current Scripting Hosts's DLLs with older DLLs and now there's "DLL Hell" to pay. ;)