Options

2003 Server- no option to offer remote assistance

kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
I have seached/googled and still have not found a clear answer to this.
The option to "offer remote assistace" is not displayed in the remote assistance panel, only the "invite someone to help" option is listed. Is there a way to enable the offer option? gpedit/group policy only allows for invite/assistance to the 2003 computer itself.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you just open up help and type "offer," you'll get the the place where you can offer remote assistance. The policy setting to enable/disable this feature is here: \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Remote Assistance but I don't think that affects whether or not it displays where you want it to.

I came across this and thought it was kind of cool: http://msmvps.com/blogs/javier/archive/2004/11/13/19044.aspx
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Search the help and support for keyword offer, then save this to your favorites, also there is a Group policy objec that has to be enabled in order to offer, and you have to setup a user or group as designated helpers, if you have Msn messenger through exchange you can offer through here also
  • Options
    kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    I believe that only allows for remote assistance "to" this computer (the 2k3 server). I am wanting to help a users pc via RA. However, later in the article it contradicts itself

"Description:
    Specifies whether or not a support person or IT administrator (the "expert") can offer remote assistance to this computer without a user explicitly requesting it first via a channel, e-mail, or Windows Messenger. If you use Windows Firewall in your organization, depending on the kind of operating system installed on the computer, you might also need to configure certain firewall policies for Offer Remote Assistance to work.
    Using this policy setting, an expert can offer remote assistance to this computer."

Later in the article:

If you enable this policy setting, Remote Assistance can be offered to users logged on to the computer.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, the other option "solicited remote assistance" is where you control whether you want a computer to be able to receive help via remote assistance. I think they meant "the computer" not "this computer."