Options

Security Knowledge Advancement Websites

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
Okay so I didn't want to put " HACK THIS BOX" in the title it didn't seems very professional, and I knew we would end up with a lot of script kiddie traffic so to speak. But my questions is this, any of you guys ever mess with any of these:

http://www.rootthisbox.org/ <which is down at the moment

http://www.hackthissite.org/

It seems like something I could get into in my down time and maybe learn a little something but I am not sure what to expect out of it. What do you guys think? I have long thought about setting up my own honeypot, but why do that when someone else has one already ready already...

Tell me what you think.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Okay so I didn't want to put " HACK THIS BOX" in the title it didn't seems very professional, and I knew we would end up with a lot of script kiddie traffic so to speak.
    Script Kiddies know how to use Google, so they'll find this thread anyway because you've made a post with "HACK THIS BOX" in the text.

Try asking over at www.ethicalhacker.net
  • Options
    touche my friend
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You don't get owt for nowt....

Make a very good image of your PC before you start down this path..... It will be the last time you see it that way for a while..
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:

Make a very good image of your PC before you start down this path..... It will be the last time you see it that way for a while..

Not sure I understand what your saying
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I used to do wargames for a while. You can learn alot especially when you start getting into the ones where you are actually writing exploits to advance.

Setting up your own honeypot?

Its too much effort for one person. You cant sit there 24 hours a day and watch it, and you pretty much need to, unless you dont mind your IP address showing up as attacking others, downloading illegal files, etc.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:

This is what virtualized environments are for. Never hack from home and definitely never on your own computer.
  • Options
    Thank goodness for free public WIFI and SMAC !
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Thank goodness for free public WIFI and SMAC !
    Many wireless drivers allow the MAC to be easily changed in the config settings.
  • Options
    Yea on Linux i always do it from the shell, but when I'm using a windows box i just love the ability to flip up a GUI and pick form hundreds of manufactures and their mac or put my own in.