290 Practice on MS Virtual Server

RogerD10-4RogerD10-4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

Having passed 70-620, I've now moved on to 70-290.

I want to set up a practice rig using MS Virtual Server to run Server 2003 and a couple of XP and Vista workstations. The question is, is this a good set-up for practicing for the exam, if not, what is?

In your own time, carry on...

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Personally I would go for a couple of virtual servers and an xp box, wouldnt bother with vista clients as nothing that is relevant to vista is tested in the 290, it may only confuse matters when things dont work out how you think.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vista is known to have many issues with connecting to a domain and accessing network resources such as network printers. Best that you stay away from anything Vista related during the 70-290 and 70-291.

If you are planning for the CompTIA Security+ specialization, keep in mind that CompTIA is updating their Security+ exam next month. FYI.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mamono wrote:
    Vista is known to have many issues with connecting to a domain and accessing network resources such as network printers. Best that you stay away from anything Vista related during the 70-290 and 70-291.

Really? I haven't had any problems like that.

I agree there's no need for Vista on 290.
    mamono wrote:
    If you are planning for the CompTIA Security+ specialization, keep in mind that CompTIA is updating their Security+ exam next month. FYI.

There old exam will still be available for some time, and you'll be able to select which one you want to take.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    mamono wrote:

There old exam will still be available for some time, and you'll be able to select which one you want to take.
    Yup, the old exam is available until April 2009.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Vista would just be a hog.

You will on the other hand get great benefit (exam speaking) by using NT4, 2000 and 2003 server/clients.

Don't let us stop you from wanting to add Vista to the mix, but it will add certain complications that might be better waiting until after you have completed the 70-290.
    -Daniel
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Vista would just be a hog.

You will on the other hand get great benefit (exam speaking) by using NT4, 2000 and 2003 server/clients.

Don't let us stop you from wanting to add Vista to the mix, but it will add certain complications that might be better waiting until after you have completed the 70-290.

Keep vista seperate, its a whole different beast.

Keep
    it
    stupid
    simple
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I use Hyper V on windows server 2008 x64. The Machine that I am using has 2 gb of ram and an AMD 4200+ X2 processor. I can run 3 Server 2003's and 2 XP's without any issues.
  • RogerD10-4RogerD10-4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys, most appriciated.

I've ditched MS Server for VMWare Server, it's less of an admin mess-about I find, and I'm going for a virtual network of two Server 2003 Servers, 3 XP Pro clients and a spare Server 2003 Server just for the practice and sims from the MS Press Training Book.