Passed - But it was an adventure!

Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
The day at the testing center didn't start so well. When I first arrived, the lady there said that their Internet was down and IT was telling her that they didn't know when it would be back up. So I was, needless to say, upset as I had just driven 2 hours to get there... my normal testing center doesn't test on Fridays. I arrived about 30 minutes early, so I told her that I would just hang around for a little while. Next thing I know, the lady is coming up to me with a phone in her hand and said that her IT guy wanted to talk to me. I answered the phone and he wanted to tell me that I wouldn't be able to hang around... I HAD to reschedule! My being upset quickly turned to anger!

After I got off the phone with him, I immediately started looking for other testing centers. The closest one was 155 miles and it was still early enough in the day for me to get there. I called that center and they said they would be happy to test me... I just needed to contact Pearson Vue to get the test transferred.

I called Pearson Vue and spoke to a very nice Lady there. She said that I would NOT be able to go take the test at the other site... I had to first show up in their system as a No Show and then I would have to create an incident report with them. Said earliest I could reschedule is next Thursday.

No sooner than she got that out of her mouth, the lady from the current testing center came out and said that her IT guy said that the test did download this morning and I could go ahead and take it... the results just wouldn't be transferred to Pearson Vue until their Internet came back up. icon_eek.gificon_twisted.gif

The lady at Pearson Vue stayed on the phone with me to make sure that I was going to be able to start the test... again, she was very nice!

I don't think they had network issues at all and here is why. While the lady was checking me in to take the test, a gentleman came to the door and said "I'm gone... you have it by yourself for the rest of the day!". So, I think they were planning on having an early day today and didn't want my test to hold them up. Plus, by the time I got back to my office (2 hour drive) the results of my test were already uploaded on Pearson Vue's site. I have never had test results upload that fast.

Anyway, enough of that!

I scored 940 on the 640-802. I used CBT Nuggets (Great Videos) and Sybex to study plus Dynamips + Dynagen at home for lab practice and a nice rack of equipment at work. It helps working for a Cisco Gold Partner and having a team of individuals whose brain you can pick.

Work has asked me to finish upgrading my M$ credentials before I continue on to CCNP, so back to the M$ material for a while. icon_sad.gif It has been nice to get away from the M$ studies and I am looking forward to finishing it up quickly so I can get started on the CCNP.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Today's your first post in about six weeks!? You better have passed after being gone for so long! ;)

I'm impressed at your level of dedication. I don't know if I would have even considered that drive to the other center. Sorry to hear about the extra stress, but I'm glad you made it through in the end. Congratulations!

Hopefully those MS tests aren't too grueling of a chore for you. Are you just going to wrap up your MCITP:EA or are you going to be doing some Exchange or something else?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome stuff.
    -Daniel
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I pop in the forums a pretty good bit... just don't get to post as often as I'd like.

And yes, going to be wrapping up the MCITP:EA. We have a few other Engineers trying to wrap up the MCSE 2003. The company kinda got behind on the M$ Certs to keep the Gold Partner status and they are wanting to make sure that it doesn't happen again :D

I actually don't mind the M$ stuff, I would just like to stay on the Cisco path for a while. No biggie though. Shouldn't take too long.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great score! Glad that all the stress is past and behind you. Good to know about morning test downloads, I'll have to keep that in mind in case something similar were to happen in the future.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great stuff. Congrats. Keep up the hard work...sounds like you had a hell of a day!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • congrats man.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    well done, hope you get back to the ccnp quickly.
  • Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats to you

i thought for a minute that you were gonna say the lady was handing you the phone so you could help the IT guy troubleshoot the connection.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats on the pass and great score!

Man, I had the same thing happen to me, except they weren't trying to get out early. The secretary just didn't know how to troubleshoot the internet problem, which is somewhat understandable as long as someone is there for backup. The problem was she wasn't wanting to ask anyone for help, she just wanted to send me packing! I push her to ask for help and 2 minutes later, it's working!

It's annoying when people don't realize the stress you're in already when coming in for exams and think it's okay to **** more on you. Good thing you didn't let it get to you and I applaud your determination as well!