Passed Today

MaekchuMaekchu Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got back from taking and passing the test. I was a little surprised at how confusing and out in the weeds some of the questions were. It's like CompTIA is trying to copy the CISSP in being intentionally vague on many of the questions. There were a lot of Access Control and Networking questions. Only one port question. I'd say 90% of what I did study was not on the test. I hate to see this trend of organizations making their exam questions so ambiguous. Anyway, I'm glad its over.

I used the Syngress book and a SkillSoft CBT my company provides for us. The CBT was a complete waste of time. The Syngress book is actually pretty good but like I said, 90% of whats in that book wasn't on the exam. Mostly I relied on my own experience and applied common sense to the questions.

Next up.........CISA in December. Cheers and good luck to everyone.

Comments

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! One of my friends has also stated to be careful of the ambiguity.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job. I felt exactly the same, the wording of some of the questions left a lot to be desired. Still, you've put the effort in and passed icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

From a quick 6:30 in the morning I'm tired glance, I thought you said you just got back from Italy where you took your test. ^_^
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Congrats! But...

Why CISSP and then Security+?

That's like dating a supermodel and then deciding to date a butterface. What is in it for you?

I am sure CompTIA appreciates your business, but I think earning the CISSP implies that you can handle Security+ material.

butterface

A woman who has a nice body, but an ugly face.

Every part of her was beautiful but-her-face.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    Congrats! But...

That's like dating a supermodel and then deciding to date a butterface. What is in it for you?

I am sure CompTIA appreciates your business, but I think earning the CISSP implies that you can handle Security+ material.

butterface

LOL @ butterface

I haven't heard that in years icon_lol.gif
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • MaekchuMaekchu Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    Congrats! But...

butterface

Butterface....LOL. Loved your analogy. I got the same question from a few of my friends.

I took the CISSP to satisfy the DOD 8570 requirements for my current job as a government contractor. I took the Security+ because another job I've got my eye on actually prefers the Security+ for their technical positions over the CISSP. I asked a friend of mine who currently works for that company why that is and he explained that they consider the CISSP to be more of a management certification and the Security+ to be a technical hands on cert. I figured I'd take the Security+ so my resume would have them both just in case. I was surprised to find in my research of contractor companies operating overseas just how many of them state Security+ in their list of preferred (and sometimes required) accomplishments for positions. I can only assume that the Security+ has become more esteemed lately whereas the CISSP has lost some of it's luster. Either way, it can't hurt to cover all your bases. icon_smile.gif
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Security+ over CISSP ? icon_eek.gif ...... that's News for me !
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    Security+ over CISSP ? icon_eek.gif ...... that's News for me !

Ditto
  • metsmanmetsman Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Believe it or not, an Ethical hacker I know who give seminars across the US recommended the same path to me...however, when I have brought this up in other forums before, I was almost mocked about it. Anyway, congrats on the pass, but now I'm a bit frightened, as I am hoping 90% of what I studied IS on the test... icon_eek.gif
    We shall see...I take my test tomorrow
    (suffice to say I didnt listen to the EH's advice)

A bit nervous after reading these forums.

-Dan
    CCNA/NCDE/NCSS/ATSP
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your passing.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, and good luck with your job at the insane-asylum. . . (because wanting Security+ over CISSP anywhere else would be crazy.) icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • telecommtechtelecommtech Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrads on passing the test!

I'm about to begin studying for Security+ and I'm not in the networking field. I hope to pass the exam on the first try. Sounds crazy huh? Wish me luck.

Anyway, any suggestions on study material for someone who still has the Net+ exam info fresh in their mind and is contemplating on the CCNA first?

What's a natural flow of the material?
    Thanks,

Telecommtech