Using MCDST to help others (and make money)

DemonEnigmaDemonEnigma Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I've always helped family and friends whenever they've had a computer problem and I thought about the idea of passing the MCDST exams and then advertising my services locally to people who aren't too great on their computers and need a little help with software issues e.t.c and earning some more cash after work and at weekends.

My question is - are the MCDST courses the right exams to take or can you recommend something better?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you were in the US I would recommend going with the A+ and then go either for the MCITP in Vista or the MCDST. But since you are in the UK I do not know if it would be worth it to go for the A+. But getting the MCDST seems like a good idea to me.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • belmartybelmarty Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    go for the A+ first it will give you the understanding of how the components of pcs work together and trouble shooting.
    i passed A+ hardware software and N+ networking and now studying for the MCP/MCDST.
    You need to know the complete basics before trouble shooting some else's pc or it could cost you money if you screw up more than thay have.

icon_cool.gif
    madmarty
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I concur with belmarty. Best to take the CompTIA A+ first. There are fundamentals covered under the A+ that are foundational to desktop support. CompTIA Network+ is a great certification for the fundamentals of networking.

May want to consider the following certification roadmap:

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    OGC ITIL v3 Foundations
    Microsoft MCP, MCDST (70-271, 70-272)
    Microsoft MCTS:Vista, MCITP:EST (70-621)
    Microsoft MCSA 2003 (70-290, 70-291)

You should be able to net yourself a good desktop support position by MCDST using this roadmap. I threw in the ITIL because it is widely used in the UK and covers IT best practices. After all these, you are only 3 more exams away from MCSA 2003 since 70-621 counts as 70-620 and either A+/Net+ or MCDST counts as the elective.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with A+ IT Technician, then N+, then hit MCDST. That should give you a solid foundation for working with users of XP. Taking the VISTA 620 would help with Vista users.