Newbee CCNA Lab Check

mikerussmikeruss Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I am beginning the CCNA road and have reserved my place at the Open University (UK) to start the course.

I have been doing loads of reading on the correct hardware for a home lab and the more I read the more unsure I am. I know there are stickies here, but the variables make me nervous.

Anyway. Because I am impatient I am probably going to go for an ebay ready made lab. And based on my reading

I have found one with the following:

1 x 2610XM Router IOS 12.4
1 x 2610 Router IOS 12.3
1 x 2521 Router (Frame Relay)
2 x 2924-XL-EN Switch
1 x 2501 Router
2 x WIC 1T
1 x WIC BS/T

looks like the best one for the money primarily because of the 2600XM.

You can guess whats coming... icon_wink.gif

Is the gear listed in the auction good for the CCNA lab?

Thanks in advance.
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Comments

• rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Sounds like a nice setup. How much is it, if you don't mind me asking?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not good IMO. I would just buy the routers separate (unless it is a very good price for the package but those are usually way over priced on ebay) as the switches are not good for CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikerussmikeruss Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cost: £285.00
    “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is way too much. Those switches aren't going to be very useful; you want 2950s or 2960s.
    Not good IMO. I would just buy the routers separate (unless it is a very good price for the package but those are usually way over priced on ebay) as the switches are not good for CCNA.

Really...

Do you have a min, rig setup you can advise on?

You mention the switches are no good, can you say why?
    dynamik wrote:
    That is way too much. Those switches aren't going to be very useful; you want 2950s or 2960s.

The new rig should look like?:

1 x 2610 Router IOS 12.3
    2 x 2960 Switch
    1 x 2501 Router
    2 x WIC 1T
    1 x WIC BS/T
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    2950 switches tend to be cheaper due to not being a current product from Cisco and will do everything you need anyway.

The kit from irp70?
    tiersten wrote:
    2950 switches tend to be cheaper due to not being a current product from Cisco and will do everything you need anyway.

Thanks all - I will begin the hunt the hardware task.

My Shopping list will be:

1 x 2610 Router IOS 12.3
    2 x 2950 Switch
    1 x 2501 Router
    2 x WIC 1T
    1 x WIC BS/T
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They do not have the same command structure as the CCNA material. You will need 2950s or 2960s as the that is the syntax used.

IMO (and it is that my opinion others will have differing opinions) minimum would be

4 routers - three 2600 or like model (preferably xm models of the 2600s) and one 2500 for the frame switch

3 switches 2950 or 2960

Check here for info on the 2600s.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    tiersten wrote:

The kit from irp70?

The seller is
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cisco2047/
    They do not have the same command structure as the CCNA material. You will need 2950s or 2960s as the that is the syntax used.

IMO (and it is that my opinion others will have differing opinions) minimum would be

4 routers - three 2600 or like model (preferably xm models of the 2600s) and one 2500 for the frame switch

3 switches 2950 or 2960

Check here for info on the 2600s.

Thanks I will do some reading.

Getting the right lab seems to be the hardest part icon_wink.gif So many different ideas/opinions
    OK some more research and from what I can tell I would end up paying near as much buying all the gear individually, especially including postage.

I think I have found a better ready made lab.

Again - thoughts/comments?

If it's rubbish I'll take the hint and buy individually icon_wink.gif

2610XM Advanced Fast Ethernet Router

2620 Modular Fast Ethernet Router

2950-24 Advanced Switch

2521 Frame-Relay Router

2500 router

2924 switch
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to throw an idiot question, what lowest router supports SDM? icon_pale.gif
    jbaello wrote:
    I just wanted to throw an idiot question, what lowest router supports SDM? icon_pale.gif
    SDM supports 830 routers and some of the 1700 routers.
    mikeruss wrote:
    OK some more research and from what I can tell I would end up paying near as much buying all the gear individually, especially including postage.

I think I have found a better ready made lab.

Again - thoughts/comments?

If it's rubbish I'll take the hint and buy individually icon_wink.gif

2610XM Advanced Fast Ethernet Router

2950-24 Advanced Switch

2521 Frame-Relay Router

2500 router

2924 switch
    The lowest end switch you want is a 2950. Anything that has XL in it like the 2924 you should avoid. Nothing wrong with them but they're just not ideal. You could mix and match and just remember that certain commands don't exist or they work slightly different but for the amount of money you save, its not worth the extra hassle IMO.

2950 switches go for around £50 on eBay depending on which image it is running and number of ports.

Most of the people that seem to be selling multiple labs on eBay are okay with you asking for things to be changed or upgraded. Obviously it'll be more expensive however.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    SDM supports 830 routers and some of the 1700 routers.

Awesome thanks, I got both 2610 and 2611 but not sure if they are the XM ones, I'll dig around, hopefully show ver will tell me.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I actually used a 2924 for my CCNA the commands were different but when practicing things like STP it can be useful IMO but 2950 and up is what you want.
    Hi all

Just a quick note to say thanks. I should have posted here days ago!

My final list

2610XM Advanced Fast Ethernet Router (maybe 2)

2 X 2950 Advanced Switch

2521 Frame-Relay Router

2500 router