Booya Passed!!!

DoseDose Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Scored 865 today. Boy was I nervous...I have never taken any certification courses so I was kind of freaking out.

I didn't find this exam to be extremely hard or easy but one full weeks of cramming sufficed. I wish I could see the questions I got wrong and which questions didn't count.

I used the Sybex (Pictures work!) and Exam Cram 2 books for study material. Took every practice test I could find online. Military does provide some CBT's for these but I found those to be a little out dated.

I guess Net+ is next...

Comments

• rdix2501rdix2501 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Now you are current with DOD 8570. Keep up the good work.
    B.S. Management Information Systems
    MCSA: Security W.I.P.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Great job!! what's next???

When are officially considered a security expert? Does security+ get you alot of job offers?
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats... Time to update your certifications on your profile.
  • MyLifeRunsOnPowerSuppliesMyLifeRunsOnPowerSupplies Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great Job! This cert is my next target. I have seen a lot of people pass using Sybex... Should I use any other resources?
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Great Job! This cert is my next target. I have seen a lot of people pass using Sybex... Should I use any other resources?

The Syngress book is good and usually highly recommended.

I suspect in 2009 we will see a huge increase in Security+ interest due to the DoD directive. Word on the street is that other major government agencies will follow with similar directives. Also, incentive pay plans for performance/certifications are being strengthened/developed for federal employees and contractors.

Stock market down icon_sad.gif
    Certifications up :D

Is CompTIA publicly traded? icon_lol.gif
  • DoseDose Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HA! Rdix nailed it on the head for the 8570 requirement. The sad part is no one in my unit has taken the time to accomplish this requirement. We have had some folks get their Gsec (3) which covers the required 8570 security+ (UNWT course) but I do not want to be locked at my base for another three years upon completion of that course.

As far as study materials, I primarily used the Sybex and Exam cram. To each their own on your types of studying method. I have always been a crammer in nature when it comes to studying. However, I do have experience in this work so I give a lot of credit to that.

This exam to me didn't get to much in depth...It covered basic concepts and was vague at times. I tried not to read into the questions and ask questions. Always eliminate the wrong answers and work from there.

I would have to say this cert doesn't making me an expert but its a start... icon_lol.gif

I'm aiming for certs I think I can pass in short periods of time. Net + and probably A+ cause I want to be a well-rounded 3C0!

I'm a horrible speller so feel free....

Oh and thanks!
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The DOD requirement was the reason I started studying for this cert first. This was a way to get me in the door should anohter IT position open at my job. Congratulations on the pass!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass. Good luck with the Network+ exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Good luck on Net+ and A+.