Security+ Or MS 70-270?

MPNX2MPNX2 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have recently completed my Network+ exam and I am lloking to ake another to help my chances of getting some more experience in the IT field. I am currently unemployed and actively looking for work although there just doesnt seem to be much around here. I have even thought about relocating if need be.

I was wondering if I should persue the Security+ cert next or begin either the MS 2000 or MS 2003 track. I do know that I could get my MCSA cert done with just two exams and I had planned on doing that but after reading up on Security+ it seems to have a higher value in the industry now and it would further increase my chances of getting a job over the MCSA cert. Does anyone have a comment on that?

Security+ from cramsession
http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/comptia/security.asp

MCSA from cramsession
http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/microsoft/mcsa-2000.asp

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • MPNX2MPNX2 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any specific reason to take that one and not the other. I am also worried about taking the MS 2000 track because I feel that maybe MS will be dropping that soon. But maybe I am wrong does anyone know they are do to come out with Longhorn in 2006..... any thoughts on taht?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Microsoft won't be dropping MCSE 2000 anytime soon, else we would know it already... not that we know such things up front or anything, just because MS does make such announcements far in advance. If it would retire next year, you could read about it at their site now... I wouldn't worry about 2000 retiring yet.
    I had planned on doing that but after reading up on Security+ it seems to have a higher value in the industry now and it would further increase my chances of getting a job over the MCSA cert.
    Nah... MCSA has a higher value and would definitely increase chances of getting a job over Security+. Security+ is an entry-level basic security knowledge CompTIA certification, it's only theory, no skills. While the MCSA covers mostly skills, and somewhat proves you know more than just theory and can 'administer a Windows network'. Having security+ doesn't mean you can actually secure something. As with all CompTIA certs, they are a good stepping stone for more advanced (non-CompTIA) certifications. Also, it will be somewhat easier to comprehend the topics in the sec+ after you became a MCSA.

So I agree with Garv, 70-270 is the way to go...

Good luck!
    Thanks for the detailed response Webmaster. That was just what I was looking for. I appericate your help as well as this great site...keep up the good work your site has been a huge help to me so far!
    You're welcome :)

I see you already have A+ and Net+ so you have a valid elective for the MCSA cert already.
    If I am not mistaken that means I only need two more exams to meet the MCSA qualifications correct?
    That would be three, the A+ and Net+ combined counts as a single 'elective', to become MCSA on 2000 you need a client (70-210 for Windows 2000 Pro or 70-270 for Windows XP Pro) and 70-215 for Windows 2000 Server and 70-218 (managing a win 2000 network).
    After that you can take one upgrade exam (70-292) to become MCSA on Windows 2003.

If you want to go directly for MCSA 2003, you should do 70-290 and 70-291 instead of 215 and 218 respectively.