Favorite place to buy books?

What's your favorite place to purchase books from? I used to like buying from Amazon because they also double as a sell everything e-retailer. I was fairly happy with them until I ordered text books from them. They held a book while they were waiting for a different out of stock book, so to make a long story short I didn't like that they were taking so long.

So I tried Buy.com and ordered my CCNA book. I used free shipping since I wasn't in a hurry to receive it. It ended up being poorly packaged. It wasn't wrapped in plastic or anything so one of the corners got bent up a bit.

So, where do you guys have the best experiences with shipping, prices and retailer trustworthiness?

Comments

• sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    I use Best Bargain Books @ Ebay whenever possible. I've gotten an insane amount of books from them and they've been extremely to reasonably well on the condition. As far as the pricing in concerned, I've bought books which cost most to ship than the book cost.

[url]
    http://search.stores.ebay.com/Best-Bargain-Books_cisco_W0QQfcdZ2QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsaselZ289875521QQsbrsrtZdQQsofpZ0[/url]

Otherwise whichever has the best price, Amazon, Ebay, Barnes and Nobles... Depends on what I need, how fast I want it, etc.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use amazon and have been happy with all of my purchases.

I have ordered from Cisco Press before also which also had great service.

Sorry, not much help I know.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm an Amazon Prime member; the free two-day shipping is fantastic. I get books, movies, music, games, etc. from there. If you think about how much time and money (gas, etc.) you spend out and about on trivial errands each year, the $80 or whatever per year seems like nothing, and it's very rare that I can't wait two days for something.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    amazon. Great for most things really
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Amazon mostly, but I've been known to do the unthinkable and go to an actual brick-and-mortar Barnes and Nobles near my job from time to time...
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Amazon. Love the free shipping. Especially since I live in Alaska.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    half.com, part of ebay.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I mostly go through Amazon, since I've found that they usully carry the books I want. I find deals wherever I can get them, of course, saving money is a good thing. Rarely, do I buy books out of bookstores. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't go down to Borders, buy a cup of coffee, and peruse the computer section until I find something I want. . . then promptly write down the title and ISBN number and go off to find it on Amazon. icon_lol.gif

Of course, the fact that the barista(s) at my local Border's cafe are hot, has nothing to do with it. One, in particular. . . icon_cool.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My favorite book search service is www.addall.com. It usually directs me to a seller on amazon.com.
  • rickjr13rickjr13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually pick up books from Amazon also. A buddy of mine tipped me off to www.bookpool.com , I have yet to get any books from them, but the prices seem pretty good. If anyone has purchased books from them, how was your experience?
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I use http://www.cheapestbookprice.com for my textbooks for college, have not tried them for tech books, but i suppose they would work the same. They compare all the major online bookstores. You can search by title and ISBN #'s i think.

win2k4
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    amazon.ca

Never had a problem with them. Even had a book that didn't show up, so I sent an email and they resent another book to me that day. (the original book did eventually show up)

I have bought probably $1000+ worth of books and movies through them and will continue to do so.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    amazon.com and bookpool.com for me. Usually I'll find a good price for books between the two sites. I favor Amazon for the shipping, since I'm in Las Vegas and most books are coming from up north (in reno) or out west (Los Angeles) so I usually get the free ground shipping by ordering more than $25 an order. BUT, I have found that bookpool will have some books $10-20 cheaper than Amazon. They also have a free shipping order, but they ship via media bulk mail which has taken 2-3 weeks both times I've tried. So I just end up paying for priority delivery since the $4-5 for priority is still less than what I'm saving over an Amazon order. All you on the east coast may have better luck with the media mail option. Anyone ever try it?
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Barnes and Nobles... I like the actually feel of a book store.

If they don't have what I'm looking for I go to Amazon.
    I can normally get it from Amazon quicker by ordering.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
    I have a Barnes and Nobles and a Borders right by my house maybe a mile from each other. The Borders has a MUCH larger selection of technical books than the Barnes and Nobles so I go there if I want to buy a book in person.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to go against the grain also, and say Borders/Barnes and Noble. I have a Borders maybe 4-5 miles away, that I usually make the trip to. It usually starts with me being bored, and wanting new material, and once I'm there, I will surely leave with a new technical book...but amazon is what I use when it's not so much an impulse buy.
    I usually stop at Borders after I drop off my son at school because I have about an hour before I have to be at work. Going to the book store is an expensive hobby. At least when you like reading technical books....
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok I'll be different, and say I use nerdbooks.com. I have had great service with them, they are usually cheaper than Amazon, etc even when you figure in the shipping.

I have a friend who uses bookpool and swears by them as well.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    rickjr13 wrote:
    I usually pick up books from Amazon also. A buddy of mine tipped me off to www.bookpool.com , I have yet to get any books from them, but the prices seem pretty good. If anyone has purchased books from them, how was your experience?

I have used bookpool.com since early 2000. I usually wait until I have 3-4 books I want to buy and compare the prices to amazon. I saved 25 bucks the last 3 book I ordered. I did the super saving shipping, which was 7-9 days but the books arrived in 3!!

I also go to Borders or B&N just to look at the book before buying. I just get a cup of java and thumb though the ones I'm intersted in.

I have returned books before with no issue.

So I will continue to buy from them. Once I'm done with the book, I place it on craigslist at half price.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I generally use B&N or Borders for browsing and Amazon for buying. Assuming that I can't find what I am looking for at the library, or I consider it a must have. I prefer browsing at B&N because the stores generally feel like they encourage more of a kick back and read atmosphere than the Borders stores. At least around here.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Amazon and Ciscopress
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amazon
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • HolyWarsHolyWars Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Amazon for me too. They are a great price even for me ordering from England (I am in Australia). Much cheaper for me to order from England then from here. :D
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Amazon.
    Occasionally I go to Chapters and look at books and If I think I want to buy it, I look it up on Amazon with my cellphone and factor in shipping and see if it is still cheaper.
    Books bought from Chapters = 0 :D
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    it depends, I split my time between B&N and Boarders when I want to physically go in and thumb through the book before I buy.

But I must say that I have bought a couple of books from Syngress.com and Sybex.

From Syngress I got 291, 293, 294, 297 I can't remember which book I got from sybex at the moment.