New Version will be updated of N+ exam in Jan 09

nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
Mike Meyers thinking changing Net+ exam in Jan 09. Meanwhile, I have a voucher of Net+ exam expires in March 09 and I planned to take the exam in next 2 weeks. But now the new updates version is on the way, so should I go take the exam now or hold and wait until the new version of exam out? And how about if I pass the exam this year then do I have to take the new version of exam next year 09? Anyone know?

Thank you

http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/11cba00b3a592e31
Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...

Comments

• nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I would take the current version. The study materials are mature and proven. We know what materials are useful and not useful. It will take a while to get feedback on study materials for the new test.

Network+ does not need to be re-taken because it does not expire even if the test changes.

The two tests will overlap for several months, so you still have plenty of time after January 2009 to take the old version.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    I would take the current version. The study materials are mature and proven. We know what materials are useful and not useful. It will take a while to get feedback on study materials for the new test.

Network+ does not need to be re-taken because it does not expire even if the test changes.

The two tests will overlap for several months, so you still have plenty of time after January 2009 to take the old version.

+1

Since you've been studying the current Network+ objectives anyways, I'd continue on your plan regardless of any new exam coming out.

Interesting, I'm looking at the new objectives compared to the old and they have more objectives now. I like that they included network security. By the looks of it, it seams they are making the test a lil bit harder. I guess I would like to see that so CompTIA can get more respect when compared to Microsoft and Cisco certs.

The following has been copied from the CompTIA's objectives:

1.0 Media and Topologies 20%
    2.0 Protocols and Standards 20%
    3.0 Network Implementation 25%
    4.0 Network Support 35%
    Total 100%

1.0 Network Technologies 20%
    2.0 Network Media and Topologies 20%
    3.0 Network Devices 17%
    4.0 Network Management 20%
    5.0 Network Tools 12%
    6.0 Network Security 11%
    Total 100%
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    I guess I would like to see that so CompTIA can get more respect when compared to Microsoft and Cisco certs.

Nah, I think CompTIA has created themselves a nice well-marketed entry level niche. It would be foolish for them to deviate from that.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    I guess I would like to see that so CompTIA can get more respect when compared to Microsoft and Cisco certs.

Nah, I think CompTIA has created themselves a nice well-marketed entry level niche. It would be foolish for them to deviate from that.

Your absolutely right. I think I need to start drinking coffee in the morning to wake me up.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • BUTCHER 88BUTCHER 88 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started studying for n+ bought the big mike meyers book, and now thay are bringing out a new version of the exam.. I am giving myself untill late feb to do the test, will the old exam still be available to do?
    Do i ask to take the old exam when i book it?
    How long will the old exam be on until?
    The old exam will still be available in February 09'. The new exam will have a different exam number.
  • Falls_TechFalls_Tech Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been studying for the current exam but will hold off for the new one. I wonder if Transcender will update the Network+ I just bought.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Falls_Tech wrote:
    I've been studying for the current exam but will hold off for the new one. I wonder if Transcender will update the Network+ I just bought.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. How much time have you got into it? You should just go ahead and take the current one; you have plenty of time to take care of it. If you're curious about the new material, pick up a book when one comes out and do a little review (or just move on to the CCNA or something). It's going to show up as a Network+ either way, and you're going to be waiting a long time for updated materials to be released.
  • morpheousmorpheous Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I attend a technical institute and my instructor told us that they were revising a new exam and that we should hurry and take the current one as the new one will be harder.

I am glad i got network+ out of the way,right after i took my security+ exam and passed,i took the net+ and passed,both on the first try.
    My advice is to not wait for the new exam,whenever they change somthing,you know its for the worse as in its gonna be more confusing.
    Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Since there is a new version coming out next year.... Will I be able to write the old version around March or April of 2009?

Thanks
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    laptop wrote:
    Since there is a new version coming out next year.... Will I be able to write the old version around March or April of 2009?

Thanks
    Most likely, yes. When CompTIA last updated their A+ exams, they offered the old & new ones for about 6 months before officially retiring the old. And considering that the release date of the updated exams hasn't been officially set as of yet (to my knowledge anyway), you've probably got until at least June 09 if not longer.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion