I Got Kicked In The Face

To speak with optimism, I successfully failed the 70-293 exam this morning.....Eh, who am I kidding, I'm a failure. I scored 583. icon_redface.gif

I used the MS Press book and Preplogic audio lecture series and practice exams, which both seam to have been lacking in the PKI area to say the least. There were a number of pretty in depth questions on the exam in this area. The past 3 weeks I have been reading 1-2 hours a night and read the MS Press book front to back. I was getting 90% on my practice exams. I guess I tried to cram too much in too little time on this. icon_sad.gif

My weaknesses: Network Security, Server Roles and Server Security, Server Availability

The funny thing is I actually scored pretty high in RRAS this time (If you remember my NetAdmin2436 VS the Beast post).

Back to the drawing board I go. icon_cry.gif
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    :opps:

Now that is ironic! icon_lol.gif

Sorry to hear about the fail. At least your RRAS is getting better. As soon as you brush up on the PKI, you'll be good to go! I'm sure you'll get it next time.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    dynamik wrote:
    :opps:

Now that is ironic! icon_lol.gif

I forgot to mention, I failed spelling class too!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ouch that's too bad! Definitely get out there and find some PKI resources. Once the theory clicks you'll be able to get through those questions pretty easily. Combine that with your now indomitable RRAS knowledge and you'll be unstoppable!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bummer and thanks for the heads up on the PKI stuff. I was really trying to focus on that. I hope the syngress isint TOO detailed. I fare pretty well on the PKI but Id like a better understanding of it along with clustering.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    I am gonna add the Syngress book to my studies now as It was highly recommended on another thread for the 70-293.

http://www.amazon.com/Planning-Maintaining-Windows-Network-Infrastructure/dp/1931836930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218208396&sr=8-1
    I am gonna add the Syngress book to my studies now as It was highly recommended on another thread for the 70-293.

http://www.amazon.com/Planning-Maintaining-Windows-Network-Infrastructure/dp/1931836930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218208396&sr=8-1

+1 on syngress. I'm Reading it now to touch up on PKI and clustering...and whatever else I need.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ouch. The 293 should be just as vicious as the 291. Only people who take the 291 then study really hard for the 293 right after really can do well due to the overlap.

I'm afraid of the 293 because of the subjects aren't really my cup of tea. >_<
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    Mishra wrote:
    Ouch. The 293 should be just as vicious as the 291. Only people who take the 291 then study really hard for the 293 right after really can do well due to the overlap.

I'm afraid of the 293 because of the subjects aren't really my cup of tea. >_<

Me too, the whole security stuff like CA and PKI etc confuses the hell out of me lol. The next exam to me should be a walk in the park, far more active directory stuff which i've plenty of experience with.
    *straps on a football helmet*
    chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge

You may learn something!
    Good luck and don't forget the pads as well!
    fGuyPatriotGames_500.jpg

Peter's helmet here was the first thing that popped into my brain when you said that. ^_^

You may learn something!
    Well that picture is me again. I failed again, this time with a 646. crash.gif

I've read both MS Press AND the Syngress books front to back, did some Microsoft virtual online labs (PKI, IPsec and a group policy one), and am pretty much at the point of getting 100% on the preplogic practice exams, listened to audio CD's over and over, went through some of the sticky notes, had a small lab at work setup as a CA......GRRRR! I still saw some things on the test that I have never heard of. Not to mention my 1 1/2 hour drive to the testing center and 1 1/2 drive back home. Then I get home and find more news about our failing economy and the bailout. Great.... icon_sad.gif

Dear 70-293,
    You are, without question, my greatest arch nemesis to date. You may have won round 1....and you may have won round 2.....and you may soon win round 3, who knows. But someday. SOMEDAY! I will get my revenge....you S.O.B. You better watch your back 70-293, because this isn't over pal!

Now if you'll all kindly excuse me, I have a date with Chuck Norris tonight to drown my sorrows. Bottoms up...

PS.....I did laugh pretty good about that picture though icon_lol.gif
    33% alcohol and 67% energy drink? You need to mix the first one 50/50 and then 75/25 on the next one. It might sting a little at first, but you won't even notice it in a bit.

What are you having trouble with on this one? Have you gotten a RRAS question right yet? ;)

That sucks, but I know you'll get through it. Don't let it get you down, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Actually I do a 50/50 for them all.....but that usually leads to a LONG night and a even longer tomorrow.

Actually the RRAS shi----I mean stuff I've averaging probably 70% or so on these last two failed tests. It's the Server Availability and Network Security sections is what I'm having trouble with now. So basically PKI, IPec, Clustering/NLB. I've set these up in the labs.....guess i have to roll up my sleeves and dig in deeper.
    Ouch, that's a rough take NetAdmin! 3rd round will definitely be yours with Bowser Jr. Here's what I used that I would recommend: Well, you know what? I can't find it on Syngress' site anymore! It was something like the Ultimate MCSE Study CD. Had exams 290, 291, 293, 294 on it. Lots of quick studies for them and lots of practise questions. It wasn't very good for the 290 but excellent for the 291 and 293 and decent for the 294. It was really cheap too. If you can find it somewhere I would definitely recommend it.
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Someday my friend, someday. The 291 kicked my butt, so I know how it feels. I have used Transcender to study for mine and I really like them. They are kinda expensive but worth it, I think at least. Good luck. You'll get it.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry you will do it, I failed 70-291 twice and passed the third time, if you take a test enough you are bound to pass. I would have passed 640-801 but I only took it twice before it expired, I am pretty sure I would have passed the third or fourth time if that version didn't expire.
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry dude! I despise RRAS since I know I probably wont be using it in the real world with the exception of VPN.

Almost to 700 though, just gotta inch a little bit closer.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 293 is a hard test. The Syngress book should def help. Its huuuge.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Actually I do a 50/50 for them all.....but that usually leads to a LONG night and a even longer tomorrow.

Actually the RRAS shi----I mean stuff I've averaging probably 70% or so on these last two failed tests. It's the Server Availability and Network Security sections is what I'm having trouble with now. So basically PKI, IPec, Clustering/NLB. I've set these up in the labs.....guess i have to roll up my sleeves and dig in deeper.

damn dude! Sorry to hear, when is round 3?

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetAdmin2436, for the 291/293 I highly suggest labbing up. This is the best way to get these concepts down. Find a cheap wireless router. Set up an AD, set up a PKI, set up RADIUS and make a client PC authenticate using PEAP. Set up an IIS server that uses HTTPS. Heck, make it a SharePoint site! Set up three servers on same AD. Take away the primary domain controller and seize all the server roles. Set up another lab that is routed and set up sites so you can see how AD replicates in a routed environment with multiple sites. Do you know DRIPS? Do you know what happens when the infrastructure master and GC are on the same server in a multi-domain forest? Test it out. Set up two domains (you will need three servers). One in the root domain two DCs in the child. Make one of the DCs a GC and not the other. Assign some permissions to accounts in the two domains and take a look at the security tab on folders and files.

Lab it and it will not be boring. You will be too busy breaking stuff to get bored! And on top of that you will remember it for a VERY long time.
    peter20football.jpg

Well I finally got my revenge, third times a charm. I got a 740, which I'm not too happy about, especially since it's been 6 months since I began studying for it. None-the-less I'll take it. This test was difficult for me as I don't work with many of the technologies at work like NLB/Clustering, PKI, IPSec. I'm just glad this saga is all over with now. On to the next saga now (70-294)....

After I failed the second time I took a step back and brushed up on some 291 stuff that I neglected and did all the labs in the MS Press book. I also went through and did all the labs again in the 293 MS Press and Syngress book. So this is why you shouldn't ever skip chapters and/or labs in your studies, it WILL come back to get you. I know I will never skip things again.

Happy new year!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    icon_thumright.gif Congrats!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Congrats buddy!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    got my revenge
    Great way to start off the New Year!! Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congratulations!

Glad you got it 3rd time round. It can only be onwards and upwards this year now!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    haha loving the family guy photos.

Congrats!

You may learn something!
    Congratulations! Push on through the goal is in sight. Don't go skipping those exercises on the 294 now. ;)
    great job man!!! see you on the 294 side of things