MCDST Certification I need help

TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so the subject line might be a bit off. Regardless, I was originally studying to take 70-271 and 70-272 of which my parents who run an IT consulting firm told me that they weren't going to pay for it because I was taking a test on old technologies. That I needed to focus my time on the Vista exams.

How true is this statement. I mean I currently work in and enterprise support desk supporting over 1000 end users and we use XP. I've also been currently playing the feild so to say in trying to find a new job and it doesn't seem like most companies are even using vista. As in its a nightmare for an IT dept. to support a bunch of end users on a new OS.

Do I tell my parents that they are wrong or is it true that the MCDST will most likely be fazed out as its the older OS.

Comments

• win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    You can tell them that if you get your MCDST, you only need 1 exam to upgrade to vista enterprise support. That way you get the best of both worlds.

win2k8
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do I tell my parents that they are wrong or is it true that the MCDST will most likely be fazed out as its the older OS.

It will be phased out, but the important thing is whether or not it has been phased out in the places you're working, and it looks like that isn't the case. Why get certified on Vista when you use XP? There are significant differences.
  • TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

It will be phased out, but the important thing is whether or not it has been phased out in the places you're working, and it looks like that isn't the case. Why get certified on Vista when you use XP? There are significant differences.

Thats what I tried to explain to them but they don't want to hear it. Since I'm currently looking for a new job I've spoken with alot of companies in my area (Seattle) and they all use XP and not Vista. I tried to explain that point but my mom said that most companies are being forced to use Vista.

I mean if I wanted to just get an MCTS its a hell of a lot easier than getting an MCDST but I'm not looking to do easy just what will advance my career. My mom also said that the upgrade test 70-261 will only be available for another 40 days which I don't believe. Can anyone verify if thats true or not?
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the 621 last month and from what I understand its still valid, isnt going anywhere from what i read, hope that helps, good luck making a decision.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thats what I tried to explain to them but they don't want to hear it. Since I'm currently looking for a new job I've spoken with alot of companies in my area (Seattle) and they all use XP and not Vista. I tried to explain that point but my mom said that most companies are being forced to use Vista.

Sounds like they just don't want to pay for your exams. Most NEW machines come with Vista (though there are exceptions), but there are many, many older machines that will NEVER be upgraded.
    I mean if I wanted to just get an MCTS its a hell of a lot easier than getting an MCDST but I'm not looking to do easy just what will advance my career. My mom also said that the upgrade test 70-261 will only be available for another 40 days which I don't believe. Can anyone verify if thats true or not?

That's simply not true. You can view the exams scheduled to retire here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx They only recently discontinued the Windows 2000 exams. This upgrade will be in place for awhile.
    i interviewed with the state last week for a desktop support position, and one of the questions they asked was "do you have experience or background in Vista", i promptly referred to my resume which had MCTS, MCITP and i basically told em, "not in production" but in vm labs certaintly..... I think i scored some points, although ive heard the horror stories about Vista and prop apps not playing nice together, hopefully i get an offer at months' end...
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work in the Seattle area and most of the companies I have seen use XP, mine does as well.
    Even if the MCDST is phased out....so what? Its not like the skills learned are not applicable to VIsta or other OS.
    My advice is get your MCDST...which will help with getting vista certs. You can do the 620, it is one of the easier exams.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'd say get the MCDST then upgrade to MCIT:EST...

and while the MCP certs are gonna get phased out, majority of companies still use XP right now. even the new boxes they get, they re-image them with XP.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Until XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, I can't see companys moving to Vista anytime soon. Also when you have passed MCDST you can just upgrade to Vista. I live in the UK, but used to live in Michigan, USA and after I got MCDST it opened alot more doors towards desktop support jobs.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    BradleyHU wrote:
    majority of companies still use XP right now. even the new boxes they get, they re-image them with XP.

I 2nd that, my company does just that icon_lol.gif
    the mcdst is def something nice to have in you're toolkit.
  • TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I haven't talked with my parents yet, they wanted to talk to someone from Microsoft, they are a Microsoft Gold Partner so I guess they have a rep or something and they wanted to hear what they have to say.

Regardless I think I'm going to try for the MCDST even though it's harder to get than the MCTS because it seems like it would be more useful in not only my job search but my actual knowlage about XP which is what I currently support. After certified with an MCDST and opt to take the 70-621 upgrade exam do I lose my MCDST credential? Or is the MCITP:EST just added onto my resume along with the MCDST.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I haven't talked with my parents yet, they wanted to talk to someone from Microsoft, they are a Microsoft Gold Partner so I guess they have a rep or something and they wanted to hear what they have to say.

Regardless I think I'm going to try for the MCDST even though it's harder to get than the MCTS because it seems like it would be more useful in not only my job search but my actual knowlage about XP which is what I currently support. After certified with an MCDST and opt to take the 70-621 upgrade exam do I lose my MCDST credential? Or is the MCITP:EST just added onto my resume along with the MCDST.

you cant lose any certification you get. you'll be both MCDST & MCITP:EST...just like there's pplz who are MCSA & MCSE...one is just an upgrade of the other...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have yet to visit an enterprise level firm in my consulting that has a single Vista machine. Small business yes, companies with 100 or more client systems and 10+ servers, no. I still see NT and 2000 systems on occasion. MCDST will be of value for many years to come. Plus it is a good, stable foundation to build on. But it depends on your customer base. What would you be supporting more of?

Don't get me wrong, I love Vista. But if you want to survive with 200 client machines to support you stick with what works. And they know XP works.