newbie stuff how and where to start

salimninasalimnina Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am sorry about this newbie stuff question but still I couldn't really find a convincing answer and as far as I know my self I am not sure what path I will be taking or at least I am looking for a flexible one so in case I want to change then it wouldn't be late... I am more into MSCA course thought I am still considering MCDBA but because it will retire the idea put me off !

I graduated in Computing couple years ago, I wanted to pursue to an Msc course but didn't successfully enroll for this year ( I was a bit late) I heard about the MSCA and MSCE professional courses that I am keen to take.
I am not a professional in computing field ( I didn't find a job after graduation) skills but I am literate not an expert, I played around with my PC stuff in operating sys, do some web design, some database...ect but never been employed this is where I am stuck for the MCSA it says that one needs 6-12 mth experience in a m/large company? now I don't have that though I played around with my PC operating sys. Do I need to do a SERVER+ to start with?

I've looked all over for the course, I think I set my sight into MSCA, I choose these following:

70-290
70-291
70-270
70-620

Is there any order to take them? are they the best to pick from ( such way that I could move from MSCA to something else )

The other question is that some say that I need to do the 70-270 then 70-620, also my concern is that the 70-270 which is and XP OS is something that will no longer be since Vista...? some think or come up with some that are flexible towards MSCE and even MCITP, is there a tree structure to follow that will make it easier
my last question is how long would it take to get my MSCA considering my knolwedge and with at least 2 hours a day studies.
much appreciated

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    salimnina wrote:
    Hi,
    I am sorry about this newbie stuff question but still I couldn't really find a convincing answer and as far as I know my self I am not sure what path I will be taking or at least I am looking for a flexible one so in case I want to change then it wouldn't be late... I am more into MSCA course thought I am still considering MCDBA but because it will retire the idea put me off !

If you want to do a newer DB program, look at the MCITP: Database Administrators: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/default.mspx They have one for 2005 and another for 2008
    salimnina wrote:
    I graduated in Computing couple years ago, I wanted to pursue to an Msc course but didn't successfully enroll for this year ( I was a bit late) I heard about the MSCA and MSCE professional courses that I am keen to take.
    I am not a professional in computing field ( I didn't find a job after graduation) skills but I am literate not an expert, I played around with my PC stuff in operating sys, do some web design, some database...ect but never been employed this is where I am stuck for the MCSA it says that one needs 6-12 mth experience in a m/large company? now I don't have that though I played around with my PC operating sys. Do I need to do a SERVER+ to start with?

That's just a recommended amount of experience; it's not a requirement. Server+ is more of a hardware exam. You may want to do that to compliment your MCSA, but you don't need it.
    salimnina wrote:
    I've looked all over for the course, I think I set my sight into MSCA, I choose these following:

70-290
    70-291
    70-270
    70-620

Most people recommend doing another elective, such as Exchange or SQL Server instead of doing both client exams (270 and 620). That will make you a little more well-rounded. It's up to you though.
    salimnina wrote:
    Is there any order to take them? are they the best to pick from ( such way that I could move from MSCA to something else )

Do 291 after 290. You can do the client exams whenever you want.
    salimnina wrote:
    The other question is that some say that I need to do the 70-270 then 70-620, also my concern is that the 70-270 which is and XP OS is something that will no longer be since Vista...? some think or come up with some that are flexible towards MSCE and even MCITP, is there a tree structure to follow that will make it easier
    my last question is how long would it take to get my MSCA considering my knolwedge and with at least 2 hours a day studies.
    much appreciated

XP is still widely used and will be for quite some time, so there's nothing wrong with doing 270 now. I'd guess you could probably do an exam every 1-2 months with that amount of time, but that is really going to depend on you.
  • salimninasalimnina Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for your assistance, this is giving me a clearer picture, however I stil have some questions if you don't mind me asking:

If you want to do a newer DB program, look at the MCITP: Database Administrators: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/default.mspx They have one for 2005 and another for 2008

because I am still not sure if I go for the MCITP or MCSA route, which one should I take which will still give me time and flexibility

Most people recommend doing another elective, such as Exchange or SQL Server instead of doing both client exams (270 and 620). That will make you a little more well-rounded. It's up to you though
    what would you recommend doing?

Do 291 after 290. You can do the client exams whenever you want.
    but again they all lead to MCDBA 2000 which will retire? any suggestion

XP is still widely used and will be for quite some time, so there's nothing wrong with doing 270 now. I'd guess you could probably do an exam every 1-2 months with that amount of time, but that is really going to depend on you.

so which one to pick, XP or VISTA? or does it not matter ( am not working but I use both, XP and VISTA

and lastly, which certification is the best, I know each one has it's own specilization but what would you consider as relevant in todays's market, Server Admin, Data Base Admin or System Engineer.

thanks a lot for your help.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    salimnina wrote:
    because I am still not sure if I go for the MCITP or MCSA route, which one should I take which will still give me time and flexibility

Do you mean the MCITP Database Admin or another MCITP? (There are a lot of different MCITPs, so you should specify which one you're interested in). This is going to be completely up to you. It depends on what you work with and what interests you. Also, you really should consider going for the full MCSE if you go that route; the MCSA isn't nearly as well respected or recognized.
    salimnina wrote:
    what would you recommend doing?

As far as the client goes, 620 is nice because it fits in the MCSA/MCSE path as well as the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. As far as your elective goes, do whatever interests you. There's opportunities with everything.
    salimnina wrote:
    but again they all lead to MCDBA 2000 which will retire? any suggestion

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The MCSA/MCSE exams are completely separate from the SQL Server exams.

salimnina wrote:
    so which one to pick, XP or VISTA? or does it not matter ( am not working but I use both, XP and VISTA

I'd go with Vista for the reason I gave above.
    salimnina wrote:
    and lastly, which certification is the best, I know each one has it's own specilization but what would you consider as relevant in todays's market, Server Admin, Data Base Admin or System Engineer.

Like I said earlier, there's opportunities with all of that, so go with what interests you.
  • salimninasalimnina Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the full reply, now I have it clear and i will set my mind to complete MCSE, I was considering the Datbase by the way but not anymore, I will focus on MCSE and hopefully to the Server Admin at a later stage