Is Subnetting part o the exam???

wildflower_mynwildflower_myn Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello..anybody here knows if subnetting is part of the network+ exam?and how many items does it have? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You should understand and be able to grasp basic subnetting, but I don't imagine you will be given any complex problems or scenarios on Network+.

If you are going to progress beyond Network+ (CCNA..etc) you should know it very well. Search the threads, there are many posts concerning subnetting.
  • dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    hello..anybody here knows if subnetting is part of the network+ exam?and how many items does it have? icon_confused.gif:
    I had a couple of questions of subnetting....
    close to MCSA!!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I didn't have any subnetting questions when I took it.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there is a really good website on this called teachmehowtosubnet or learnhowtosubnet. I can't remember which, but its a huge help. They give you a bunch of examples to try as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    there is a really good website on this called teachmehowtosubnet or learnhowtosubnet. I can't remember which, but its a huge help. They give you a bunch of examples to try as well.

www.learntosubnet.com and www.subnettingquestions.com
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

www.learntosubnet.com and www.subnettingquestions.com

thats right, i couldn't remember exactly.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I took Net+ very recently and I had a couple subnetting questions - be familiar with CIDR. Also be familiar with routing protocols because I got hit with a few of them also and was not prepared for them.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • morpheousmorpheous Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got only basic subnetting questions like subnet mask classes A B C ect...

I doubt you would have to go in depth as the exam does'nt but brush up on the basics and you'll be fine with that.
    Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I did not get any "subnetting" questions when I took my test. You may get questions like what class is 172.31.10.255 in. But I HIGHLY doubt you will get questions like whats the usable IP Range of the second subnet of 161.32.0.0 255.255.224.0

btw its 161.32.32.1 - 161.32.63.254
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't get any subnetting questions during my Network+ exam. Most of the TCP/IP related questions that I go were regarding class, private networks, and loopback.
  • ken.perez.8541ken.perez.8541 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did not have any subnetting questions on my exam. You should have a basic understnding of why subnetting is used, but you should not encounter any questions about how to put it into practice.
    A+ IT Technician, A+ Depot Technician, A+ Remote Support Technician, Network+, Security+, Server+

WIP: CCNA, CWNA
  • flammablecamelflammablecamel Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whats with the 2n2-2 for the # of networks, I keep hearing that you don't subtract 2 of your networks from some books/places, and some books say you do. What does the network+ exam want you to think about this?

Example: I cannot use 255.255.255.128 on a class C address because it only makes 2 networks and you -2 off your total # of networks.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I know that the -2 from the number of networks because these two networks are "unusable"
    One if for the "zero" subnet and the 255 (which should the last one) is for broadcast which cant be used because they are reserved. So depending if they are asking for "usable" or "unusable" subnets perhaps
    I took the test today, and figured out the answer to the -2 networks question. I had a question where the only possible answer was to NOT subtract 2 from your total number of networks(networks NOT hosts), which leads me to believe that comptia does not want you using n^2-2 for determining the number of subnets you will create when you steal host bits.

n^2 = # of networks
    n^2-2 = # of hosts
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I took the test today, and figured out the answer to the -2 networks question. I had a question where the only possible answer was to NOT subtract 2 from your total number of networks(networks NOT hosts), which leads me to believe that comptia does not want you using n^2-2 for determining the number of subnets you will create when you steal host bits.

n^2 = # of networks
    n^2-2 = # of hosts

You took N+ today and it had questions about subnetting? Did you pass?
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
    Ya 850/900, however I think that was because multiple choice questions are answerable half the time even when you don't know what the answer is. Seemed like alot of my study material didn't quite go "deep" enough in alot of places for me to have clear answers to alot of the questions. Also the questions are terribly worded, I think either a 3 year old or a guy who really wants people to fail writes them. Half the battle is just figuring out exactly what they are asking you.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Ya 850/900, however I think that was because multiple choice questions are answerable half the time even when you don't know what the answer is. Seemed like alot of my study material didn't quite go "deep" enough in alot of places for me to have clear answers to alot of the questions. Also the questions are terribly worded, I think either a 3 year old or a guy who really wants people to fail writes them. Half the battle is just figuring out exactly what they are asking you.

So, would you say most of the questions are formatted asking about what is the technology or how it is utilized?
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • ZerubbZerubb Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had one question about sub-netting when I took the exam back in September.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Flammable....I took my A+ and thought the same thing. I found a lot of questions had improper grammar and were worded just plain wrong. I found it very unprofessional of Comptia. Personally it made me have to reread some questions several times to figure out what they were asking.....but maybe that was the point!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.