Sticking with CCVP

I've passed one test in CCVP, and I've just gotten a job with an ISP. I saw that Cisco has the CCIP track, targeted for service providers. I've been giving serious consideration to going in that direction. However, I'm contract at my current job, so I may not necessarily be with this company long-term, so would a CCIP be the best cert for a non-ISP networking business if I"m looking to the future? Also, since I took the "regular" CCNA, I would have to retake it this summer with an emphasis on voice if I don't complete the CCVP by then, meaning an extra test to the five; the CCIP has only four total, and there's no summer deadline (as far as I know). And I haven't even really begun to get into CallManager, which is still ahead of me. Not that I'm looking to leave the CCVP track, but other areas like the CCIP are looking very interesting.

Considering my current responsibilities and scheduling, I'm not sure I could pass the CCVP by summer. Maybe. But any thoughts would be appreciated.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    it all depends on what your goals are. If you were working VOICE at a service provider, having those CCIP skills will come in handy. There are plenty of days where MPLS/QOS/BGP come up. i mean there is not a day that goes by that I don't have to read up on one of those topics and I work mainly voice.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    empc4000xl wrote:
    it all depends on what your goals are. If you were working VOICE at a service provider, having those CCIP skills will come in handy. There are plenty of days where MPLS/QOS/BGP come up. i mean there is not a day that goes by that I don't have to read up on one of those topics and I work mainly voice.

Yeah, so much of this has value no matter what cert you're pursuing. It's an interesting choice.

[Update] Btw, I was just told by a coworker that this company is very likely to be moving into VoIP in the upcoming months, and he would advise that I stick with CCVP. With that on the horizon here, I think my choice is clear.

Unfortunately, if I get my CCVP it won't affect my salary - this is a union shoppe. icon_mad.gif
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    I thought unions were outlawed in FL?