copy running-config startup-config

yovalyyovaly Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi to all
As a novice to this- Do I need to 'copy running-config startup-config' after every change I am doing?

Could someone recommend/link a good router simulator?

Comments

• mehdimehdi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes you have to save your running-config affter you made evry change;otherwase you will losse your config after restarting the router for some reasons; there is many good routers simulator(routersim;boson routersim....ect ) a quique researche in google will pointe will resolve your prblm
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mehdi wrote:
    yes you have to save your running-config affter you made evry change;otherwase you will losse your config after restarting the router

I've done that sometimes. icon_redface.gif Forgot to save my new config. and lost everything I've done when I go to install the router or switch. crash.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its recommended that you do it after every change (for testing purpose aqs well) but its not necessary unless you are half way or completely done with the config you are making. in the past i have learned not to save it unless i know it works b/c i have made some changes that have caused messes ( in the earlier days when i first started learning cisco) icon_scratch.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    I've done that sometimes. icon_redface.gif Forgot to save my new config. and lost everything I've done when I go to install the router or switch. crash.gif
    I think we've all done that at one time or another. If you say you haven't you're lying..... icon_lol.gif
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Tell you what is even more annoying I had 2 routers at work I coudlnt remeber the password and changed the config reg to 2142 and forgot to change is back ! then got most annoyed whenever they restarted that the config was lost!!!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif

lol....

One of my bosses is a CCIE and he has also forgot to do a copy run start in his new configs. When he realizes he lost all of his configs on the 6509 you can see smoke coming out of his ears and his eyes fill with fire!!! lol...
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL more or less tears.. configs on those are a *-*** i watched a friend at my last contract build one for 2 days ( then again it was supposed to be redundant config)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I write my configs in notepad. I then have different configs for different study areas. When I am done with a study session I erase the startup. I keep a generic config on the side for enable, no ip domain-lookup, line, aux, vty, etc.... Whenever I start a new study session I just modify the hostname and paste that in. Then I paste the config I am working on into it and see if it works.

Doing it this way means you have to learn the config process before applying it to a router. If there are errors in my config I see them during the paste. I correct those then check to see how it runs, if it doesn't work then I have missed a step.