how much did it cost you to get certified and what cert?

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
this is kinda jus a open question. trying to see how much you invested in getting certified not jus the price of the test but everything.

here is the run down for me

for the network+ it cost me nothing most everything i need to study and practice exams. so for me it was $150 on the test (word to the wise don't pay for any materials for the test its all on the web for free)

now for the ccna i have spent $35 on todd's book, $200 on routers [2500 models 4 total] , sims and videos $0. (i'm still lacking a switch but i may put out another $50 on it.) icon_arrow.gif my plans are to get ths next month icon_study.gif

i have already started working on getting the stuff for the ccnp $160 for all the video training suite.. but i know i will need more stuff
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So far I have been fortunate, my job has provided me with my routers (3)2501, (1)2514, (1)1900 switch, (2)2900 switches, (1)3550 24 port switch along with all my Cisco Press and Sybex books. icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

My training and exam for the A+ was paid 6 years ago by the company used to work for. :D

The Net+ exam was paid by my night school. :D

Hope my job will pay for my CCNA exam. icon_mrgreen.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Hmm... for A+ I spent $107 on each of two vouchers plus $50 on text. $264. Considering the work I've gotten since then, it was well worth it.

MCP is a whole different story. I bought a 15% voucher for the $125 exam on ebay for 99 cents. Bought a motherboard, processor and case along to put with the rest of my spare components to build and Windows 2003 Server. Oh, and there are the WAPs and switch to make my network wireless so I could do the work from my bed. Bought Exam Cram 2 for $12. This is not a cheap one. I will use these components as I travel on to MCSE so the per exam price will drop. I'm sure I am close to $400.

Nice little tax deduction.

Network+ is a LOT cheaper. I bought the Sybex text in new condition at a flea market for $5. Tcat Houser sent me his Network+ notes last year after a rather enlightening email exchange (he's a great guy). I have the technotes here as well. Just bought the voucher for $139.

A lot of money (I bought a MCSE text set for $82 last month) but it's an investment. Last year I was making $7/hour working part time before I got A+. I'll finish this year at about $30k and I'm still just a contractor with no benefits.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    I paid $995 for my N+ cert calss which starts saturday. I know that may sound stupid, but I think it's worth having a professional teach you. Also access to about 8 different networking labs anytime from 8am-10pm is not bad. School also gives us some equiptment to bring home and fiddle with.

Most classes only have 4 people, which I really like, more 1 on 1 time with the instructor.

Is $995 for a 40 hour class sound high? It was the cheapest I could find in the Chicago land area
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Considering the difficulty, or lack thereof, of the Net+ exam. $995 sounds extremely high. Seriously, save the cash, buy Mike Meyer's All-In-One book, and take the exam. You'll pass, I promise.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I paid a lot for a little icon_evil.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I paid for college..Work has covered all Cert testing & books. Also get router/switch time at work whenever I want.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I paid 13,000 so far. Studying for the CCIE RS, ISP, and eventually voice

1x 2port PRI T1/E1 w/8 port BRI ISDN simulator
    1x 4 port telephone simulator
    2x 4700 with ATM mm modules
    1x 3640 with 2fe2w, 1x nm-4t, 1x nm-4b, nm-1fe2ct1-csu, 2x wic-1t, 2x wic-56k-dsu
    1x 3620 with 2fe2w, , 2x wic-1t
    3x 2503
    2x 2520
    2x 2610 1x NM-2V with FXS and FXO ports, 1x nm-1ct1, 2x wic-1b, 2x wic-2t
    2x mc3810 with FXO and FXS ports, E1 multiflex, T1 multiflex, E1 Voice
    1x VG200
    2x 2511 with octal cables
    1x 2950
    1x 3512XL
    1x 1924EN
    2x 3550-EMI
    1x 2926

Everything has max memory and ram. My company pays for the tests and I also get to use my work lab. 7206s, LS1010s, VG248s, 3640s, 3745s, 3725s, 3550, IP phones, yak-yak-yak.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Fu Loser wrote:
    I paid $995 for my N+ cert calss which starts saturday. I know that may sound stupid,

Yes.
    My Cost

Exam Cram2 = $30.00
    Technotes = Free
    Exam = $200.00
    Total cost = $230.00
    Total time = 2 weeks

Saving $765.00 and having not to go to school from 6-10 PM- including saturdays
    PRICELESS icon_lol.gif
  • skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    garv221 wrote:
    Fu Loser wrote:
    I paid $995 for my N+ cert calss which starts saturday. I know that may sound stupid,

Yes.
    My Cost

Exam Cram2 = $30.00
    Technotes = Free
    Exam = $200.00
    Total cost = $230.00
    Total time = 2 weeks

Saving $765.00 and having not to go to school from 6-10 PM- including saturdays
    PRICELESS icon_lol.gif

I just scheduled my Net+ test for 9/30.

My costs:

Mike Meyers All in one book = 30
    Technotes = Free
    Exam voucher (early expiry) = 139
    Total time = ~ 3 weeks by the time I take the test

Hopefully I pass, but in the end I've only spent $169. I'm not quite done w/ the Mike Meyers book, but I've read the entire technotes and I'm feeling pretty confident. A LOT of this was covered in meyer's A+ book.
  • ChrisWasAlreadyTakenChrisWasAlreadyTaken Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    viper75 wrote:
    So far I have been fortunate, my job has provided me with my routers (3)2501, (1)2514, (1)1900 switch, (2)2900 switches, (1)3550 24 port switch along with all my Cisco Press and Sybex books. icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

My training and exam for the A+ was paid 6 years ago by the company used to work for. :D

You live in Westchester? I live on the island in Islip, I was actually going to take a job out in Westchester but it was too far of commute.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, I live in Westchester. Where was the job???
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Man, the 995 for the calss is the cheapest in the area. I guess It can't hurt eh? icon_scratch.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    now with ccnp books and new lab equipment and adding +$200
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I guess if you count college classes that helped me with some of the principles...let's see. I'll say 1500 at least for college networking classes, along with maybe 100 for study books and around 400 for the actual tests. Throw internet access into the mix and you got another 30 so I can print out study guides and whatnot. Then throw in countless hours of computer hardships/upgrading/building and that's another 1000 just for parts. ;)

JK...maybe 100 bucks for books and 400 to take the tests (no vouchers).
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Fu Loser, it's not necessarily a bad thing that you took a class. Sometimes it helps as far as completeness and not to mention, actually absorbing and understanding what you're learning. Most of the instructors are people with real world experience, and they can usually offer you a individual perspective on topics that you might not find packaged in a book. About 20% of my work is teaching (contracts with various training companines), and I'm starting to hear more and more from students that the reason they're taking the class is for understanding. While it is true you could probably easily pass this test with just a book and a couple of study guides or practice tests, will you still understand the concepts 6 months for now? Basically the people here that say they only used this book or that book probably have some experience with networks, computers, etc. This is not the case with everyone, so if you feel you need to class to get a boost and try to make up for some of the experience you lack, go ahead. icon_wink.gif The important thing is to keep hanging around forums like these. The material here is as good as any you'll find anywhere, and the reccommendations from the above posters are pretty much solid preparation material in my opinion.

As for me, I really didn't use any study material. And the test was covered by my employer. So 0$
  • chrisduhhfurchrisduhhfur Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certified Jackass Exam:

Life Experience = Free
    Exam Fee = Given to me free by all those who meet me.

As for the other stuff.... Hard to say how much I spent in total but I would assume it would be over $3000
  • chrisduhhfurchrisduhhfur Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    viper75 wrote:

You live in Westchester? I live on the island in Islip, I was actually going to take a job out in Westchester but it was too far of commute.

hey that is me what the hell... hahah I forgot I registered here before....
  • cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    A+ Class >>> $365
    Network+ Class >>>$365
    A+ Exam Core >>> $159
    A+Exma OS >>>>> $159
    Network+ exam >>> $250
    Total $1298

Mcsa class $1000
    total $2298

70-270 exam (failed) $ 94
    Total $ 2394

70-270 Retake $0000000
    Grand total 3 May $ 2394,---
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I paid $69 for the A+ OS, $89 for the Core A+, and took the Net+ 2005 Beta test for Free. All materials were downloaded for free ;)
    Im working on MCSA now using books i spent about $125 for a couple years ago.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    tunerX wrote:
    I paid 13,000 so far. Studying for the CCIE RS, ISP, and eventually voice

1x 2port PRI T1/E1 w/8 port BRI ISDN simulator
    1x 4 port telephone simulator
    2x 4700 with ATM mm modules
    1x 3640 with 2fe2w, 1x nm-4t, 1x nm-4b, nm-1fe2ct1-csu, 2x wic-1t, 2x wic-56k-dsu
    1x 3620 with 2fe2w, , 2x wic-1t
    3x 2503
    2x 2520
    2x 2610 1x NM-2V with FXS and FXO ports, 1x nm-1ct1, 2x wic-1b, 2x wic-2t
    2x mc3810 with FXO and FXS ports, E1 multiflex, T1 multiflex, E1 Voice
    1x VG200
    2x 2511 with octal cables
    1x 2950
    1x 3512XL
    1x 1924EN
    2x 3550-EMI
    1x 2926

Everything has max memory and ram. My company pays for the tests and I also get to use my work lab. 7206s, LS1010s, VG248s, 3640s, 3745s, 3725s, 3550, IP phones, yak-yak-yak.

I feel your pain on that price...I currently have about 15,000. in working towards my CCIE R/S and Security. (Some of this is my own dumb fault). And I am about to spend another 4,000. in July...and 1250.00 in September.

I am afraid to count up how much I have spent on all the other certs.. icon_eek.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used $8300 with New Horizons for my A+, N+, and MCSA titles. I had to pay for their stupid classes.

These Learning centers charges an arm and leg. The only good reason to go to them is if your company pays for it!
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    $300.00 CAD for Network+
    Materials Include:
    -Network+, Guide to Networks by Tamara Dean
    -Network+ by Chapelle
    -Network+ technotes
    -Prep test/questions.
    **165CAD was for paying for the actual test**

Doing security+ now.
    Spent about 100.00CAD on two books.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.