What to do after CCNP?

adassusadassus Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
The obvious choice would be CCIE. But whats the best path towards CCIE? Would it be better to go for other professional/specialization certs or directly to CCIE? Depending on how much overlapping there is between CCIE and other specilization certs, it might be worth it to go that route.

Need input from experts and people pursuing CCIE!!

Thanks

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all.... get lots and lots of real world experience. The people who work for business partners seem to get the most valuable and diverse experience. People working in large corporations may have access to lots of cool equipment, but they seem to learn only "one way" that things are done.

Doing both the CCNP and CCIP are good if you want to do the Routing & Switching CCIE. The BGP and QoS exams for the CCIP should get you up near the CCIE Routing & Switching Level in those topics. And passing the MPLS exam should let you waltz through the MPLS questions on the Routing & Switching Written Exam.

With the last changes to the Security and Voice CCIEs, it does look like there is a clear path from the Professional Level Certifications (CCSP & CCVP) to the CCIE Voice and Security Certifications. I think Doyle's Routing TCP/IP is in the CCIE reading lists for those, so the CCNP does still help with those. If you were thinking about the Voice or Security CCIE tracks, then doing the corresponding Professional Level Certification would make sense.

I've always thought the Service Provider CCIE built on the R&S Knowledge, but I've met a couple people doing it as their first CCIE. I guess it's possible since one time the CCIE SP "first-timer" had the same glazed look as the R&S CCIE taking their first SP Lab exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • adassusadassus Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good advice. what about CCDP? Its only 1 more exam after CCNP, does that relate to CCIE directly?

I dont work in IT at the moment so getting real experience is a problem.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    adassus wrote:
    what about CCDP?
    I think it's a good review for the CCIE. Either squeeze it in between the CCNP and CCIP, or before you start reading the CCIE R&S Written Certification Guide.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    adassus wrote:
    good advice. what about CCDP? Its only 1 more exam after CCNP, does that relate to CCIE directly?

I dont work in IT at the moment so getting real experience is a problem.

How is CCDP only one exam after the CCNP? The CCDA is a pre-req for the CCDP..and then the DESGN exam makes the second, if I'm not mistaken.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Yes it would be 2 exams if you don't have CCDA. The CCDP will not offer much related to CCIE that you didn't already pick up from CCNP, or what you could pick up from CCIP (or even SP for that matter).

I would suggest looking for a job after CCNP, rather then keep going.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    mikej412 wrote:
    First of all.... get lots and lots of real world experience. The people who work for business partners seem to get the most valuable and diverse experience. People working in large corporations may have access to lots of cool equipment, but they seem to learn only "one way" that things are done.

Spot on.... that's what I'm experiencing at the moment... looking for a larger company or ISP to work for at the moment to get out of the rut and explore all avenues to broaden my knowledge!!!

Just to get back on this thread's topic though... I'm looking to finish my NP in about a month then move onto IP and DA before preping for a end of 09 attempt at the R&S lab....

Like Mike said.... the NP and IP should build a solid foundation for the R&S track..... then you can build on it from there..... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP