Security + vs Windows 2003 Server cert vs Wireless cert

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
New Horizons is giving me a free classand test. I have the option to take whichever.

I narrow it down to three which are Security +, Windows 2003 Server or a wireless cert.

Im already doing MCSA which is making lean towards taking Windows 2003 Server.

However at the end of my list of certs Im going to be taking quite a bit Security ones which can be found here.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4017

Taking Security+ will fit into that catagory I think.

I also here Wireless is the place to because soon it is going to be in high demand.

Can you guys help me decide?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Is there any exam you prefer to do just because of the topic?
    I also here Wireless is the place to because soon it is going to be in high demand.
    If that is the case than a wireless cert would not be worth much without other networking certs.

The security+ would fit well in that list in the other post, but it might be wise to do Security+ after MCSA.

I guess, since it's free, you should go for the most expensive one ;)
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer the one that is just going to fit in good with my list of certs. Looks like MCSA 2003 Server or Security +

yeah thanks, so Wireless is out of the question.

I heard that Security+ is a b*tch to pass. That is what I am afraid of but it seems to fit quite nice in my list of certs.
    Wireless is fun and interesting but it wouldn't fit as well as Sec+ in that other list (nice list btw).

Security+ is a weird one indeed, but the topics are interesting and not nearly to a level as some other certs in your wishlist.
    Thanks webmaster!,

so you are saying that it isnt the hardest but it is just tricky?

Well I guess I will see, it is from Comptia so Im a little used to how they grade their exams.

P.S. Who makes more money, guys dealing with security or System Administrators like MCSA
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. The problem is that it isn't tricky in a regular way, nut more in an incompetent way. It's a like taking the basic topics from security (which aren't that hard to learn and understand) and trying to create a difficult exam for it (by using bad wording in both questions and answers).

I'm sure you will notice the same once you start with those other security certs. Nevertheless, I think it is an exam worth studying for, the topics are fairly well picked and form a good foundation for further security related studies. I'll leave the value of taking and passing the exam up to those that actual benifit from it.
    Who makes more money, guys dealing with security or System Administrators like MCSA
    Those dealing with security, and it's usually a huge difference. But, the guys who've been MCSA (worked as sys admin, net admin, etc.etc.) before they deal with security make even more money ;)
    Thansk for all you help webmaster, I just forgot to ask,

Does the Security + deal with more internet security such has having proxies, firewalls, and routers or does it deal with files and folders, users, groups of a local computer.

I hope it is in the lines of the internet security cause that is what I am interested more.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey x_danny_x

Security+ deals with all aspects of security at differing levels. Everything is fairly basic in detail but covering a very wide range of topics.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Thanks Russ, Im taking MCSA classes now! They have a section on security with templates and the different levels.

Though I thought NTFS would be a major part, i havent heard anything about it as of yet in the Security section of MCSA