My Server+ test

drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've finally got around to scheduling the exam. I scheduled it 2 weeks ago in order to jumpstart my training.

It worked. I'm fully confident in my ability to pass this exam. My test starts in 40 minutes.

I'll post my impressions and test score when I get back.

Comments

• drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, All went well.

You know what they say, "A pass is a pass."

On the scale of 100-900 I received a 900.

I used training my company provided, Exam Cram, Server + Certification Bible, TEchExams, and Proprofs.com .

There were several server size questions, SCSI, and RAID questions. Surprisingly, there were no SAN/NAS questions, which I thought would be more of.

Several questions about tape backups and server room setups as well.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Perfect score! Congrats!

This exam isn't too popular. Why did you decide to take it?

And what's next for you?
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I want to take this exam to show my employer I'm serious about working in the server room one day. Thanks for your advice. I have that exam cram book on the way in the mail. Congradulations on your perfect score.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    dynamik wrote:
    Perfect score! Congrats!

This exam isn't too popular. Why did you decide to take it?

And what's next for you?

I didn't decide to take it icon_neutral.gif

My boss came to me a year ago and told me that the next cert he wanted me to take was Server+

So I goofed around for a year, studying a bit here and a bit there... Finally I decided to get off my duff and schedule it.

Next, I have to get recertified on my HPs, only this time I have to get certified on my HP servers as well. That's part of the reason for the big push to get this one done. I found out that if I have my Server+, then I opt out of a couple of tests for HP.

:D
  • mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    hello,
    just a very quick question: does SERVER+ count toward anything else? If so, what toward to?Thanks
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP
    Well, the Server+ and the A+ count towards one elective in the MCSA (I believe)

The Server+ lets you opt out of 1 prerequisite test for the HP certs
  • mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    Thank You very much for that info.
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP
  • network.ipadminnetwork.ipadmin Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    drthtater wrote:

Server+ is not an exam Microsoft recognizes as an exam to be used for an elective for any Microsoft Certs.

Using A+ and Network+ or A+ and Security, can get an elective credit for MCSA. Also Security+ can be used as an elective for MCSE. For a MCSA Security or MCSE Security, Security+ can be used as an elective.

See near the bottom about "You can substitute one of the following Microsoft or third-party certifications for an MCSE elective exam."

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx
    drthtater wrote:

Server+ is not an exam Microsoft recognizes as an exam to be used for an elective for any Microsoft Certs.

Using A+ and Network+ or A+ and Security, can get an elective credit for MCSA. Also Security+ can be used as an elective for MCSE. For a MCSA Security or MCSE Security, Security+ can be used as an elective.

See near the bottom about "You can substitute one of the following Microsoft or third-party certifications for an MCSE elective exam."

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

Hmm.

I'm just going by what the back of my MSPress 70-270 book says.

It says that Comptia A+ and Comptia Server+ is good for an elective for the MCSA...

EDIT :
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
    To receive an elective credit toward the MCSA certification, candidates must earn the CompTIA A+ credential and either the CompTIA Network+ credential or the CompTIA Server+ credential. Alternatively, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Server+ study material actually has a lot of great foundational information regarding server implementation and server administration that often times is overlooked because it is considered basic knowledge. That's pretty much how most of the CompTIA certs are like, they are great as foundational certifications for their respective applications.

Think of it along the lines that if you don't have a strong foundation to build upon, then the expertise that you gain and hone isn't as sharp as it can be.

Since knowledge is power, it would make sense to not pass up knowledge when it is readily available. I think Server+ is well worth the time, IMHO. icon_idea.gif
  • bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ignore my ignorance here, does Server+ cover much of the same info that MS 70-290 covers?

I just got done taking that and if it "covers" alot of the same material, I may move on to it next while the info is still fresh in my mind.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    TravR1 wrote:
    I want to take this exam to show my employer I'm serious about working in the server room one day. Thanks for your advice. I have that exam cram book on the way in the mail. Congradulations on your perfect score.
    Why not go with 290, or whatever platform you have? Sec+ is mostly just theory garbage.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, Server+ is vendor-neutral and deals with a lot of hardware. It's very different from 290. Go take a look at the exam objectives for each.
  • ken.perez.8541ken.perez.8541 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the Server+ exam, a lot of people told me not to waste my time studying for this exam, as it is not a well recogonized certification, but I ignored them, and I am glad that I did. It may or may not be a well recogonized exam, but I am sure that it will not hurt my resume if I ever decide to look for a different job. This exam is RAID, RAID, RAID, RAID etc. It seemed like every question involved RAID configurations. I got a lot out of the studing for this exam, as Server hardware is not exactly my specialty.
    A+ IT Technician, A+ Depot Technician, A+ Remote Support Technician, Network+, Security+, Server+

WIP: CCNA, CWNA
    Good for you!

I hated studying for this, which is why it took me a year to get around to taking it.

Still, I'm glad I took it.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the Server+ exam, a lot of people told me not to waste my time studying for this exam, as it is not a well recogonized certification, but I ignored them, and I am glad that I did. It may or may not be a well recogonized exam, but I am sure that it will not hurt my resume if I ever decide to look for a different job. This exam is RAID, RAID, RAID, RAID etc. It seemed like every question involved RAID configurations. I got a lot out of the studing for this exam, as Server hardware is not exactly my specialty.

Congrats on getting Server+. From what I have seen the Server+ does have it's niche in the market. If you work for a company as a Destkop/Server hardware tech it can help a lot. I think it counts toward HP hardware certs also. If you do a Search on dice.com you will see a handful of jobs that like the Server+ so it is at least somewhat recognized.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2