CCIE - WIRELESS Coming!!!!

redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
I was digging around Cisco's certification forum today and look what I found:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-2990

Apparently they are asking for wireless experts to test their beta exam for a CCIE-Wireless written exam to be released later this year! I am wondering if this means that they are planning to make Wireless a full-blown career track with professional level certs as well in the future? In any case, this is interesting news for anyone interested in wireless and it will be interesting to see how much interest it generates! :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wasn't there recently a beta for the CCIE wireless written exam? I might be thinking of something else though...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This wouldnt suprise me as they have been restructuring there cert tracks but i would be interested to see how many people would be looking to sit it as wireless seems to be becoming more popular.

btw,

whats happened to the ccna wireless? i was looking on the cert track and it didnt seem to be there anymore?

Edit: Seems the general cert page i was looking at the NA wireless was not on but when you look under the associate section its there.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been reading about the wireless track for a bit, and it looks very interesting. It seems like it would be a natural transition for someone with the Routing and Switching lab already under their belt. (And, of course, this would be yet another track for Cisco to not mention on those lists of "number of candidates with x number of CCIEs", aside from "Routing and Switching and <blank>". Notice that they always count the people with R&S and something, but never tell you about the number of people who hold, say, the Security and Service Provider tracks only, for example. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    is there really that much extra to wireless that it needs a ccie cert?

soon they'll be having a ccie for oven installation.
    is there really that much extra to wireless that it needs a ccie cert?

Have you looked at the CCNA: Wireless or CWNA? It blew my mind how much more there was to wireless than I ever thought, and that's only at the associate level! Also, keep in mind that a lot of content between the CCIEs overlaps. There's probably going to be a huge amount of switching, voice, security, QoS, etc. in addition to wireless.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/index.html

This is just a list of some of the wireless products that Cisco carries. Now consider how these would be implemented and configured in a enterprise environment. Think about the security issues you would deal with. Imagine having to set up wireless Point-to-Point to provide access to a remote site.

I think CCIE: Wireless will be very popular in the near future.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    soon they'll be having a ccie for oven installation.

I dunno, but if there's a possibility you can be suere Scott Morris is working on his cooking skills ;)

I think they are going to keep diversifying. I definitely see Security splitting in a few years, just too many different technologies are emerging and eventually it will be humanly impossible to be called an expert on them all at once.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I definitely see Security splitting in a few years, just too many different technologies are emerging and eventually it will be humanly impossible to be called an expert on them all at once.

CCIE: Security: R&S
    CCIE: Security: SP
    CCIE: Security: Voice
    CCIE: Security: Wireless
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would love to just sit the beta exam anyways to see what its like. $50 doesn't seem like a lot. I'm looking forward to what Cisco puts onto the market for their Wireless professional track.