Options

291 DNS Suggestion

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm sure some one has suggested this book at some point on this forum, but I figured it has been a while. If you are preparing for 291/293 I highly recommend this book be included in you studies:

DNS on Windows Server 2003
http://www.amazon.com/DNS-Windows-Server-2003-Cricket/dp/0596005628/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224358974&sr=8-3

DNS is heavily tested on 291 and was responsible for my only failure of an MS exam. This book really helped me out the second time.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That's definitely a great suggestion, Cricket Liu also wrote the legendary DNS and BIND book. Can you give us a quick review of what you thought of the book, which sections were more (or less) useful, and what other reading you'd recommend?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Honestly, fear not the DNS is is very straight forward (do not build a mental wall where one does not need to exist).

You might do well setting up a couple of servers and testing ZXFRs, creating secondary, forwards and stubs.

I highly recommend anything from James Conrad (CBT Nuggets).
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote:
    That's definitely a great suggestion, Cricket Liu also wrote the legendary DNS and BIND book. Can you give us a quick review of what you thought of the book, which sections were more (or less) useful, and what other reading you'd recommend?

I thought the entire book was great and it does a good job of covering areas that are particular to Microsoft. It also deals a bit with BIND integration. Sadly it was too long ago for me to recall any details about what I found most helpful.

Stupidboy makes a good point about DNS being straightforward, it would seem to be. But then you get to that dang test and it clobbers you. The way I fix this is by over learning. I learn way more than I need to and it helps.