IT Help Desk Interview

Jaqmar2001Jaqmar2001 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I've been invited to an interview for IT Help Desk (MCDST).
Can anyone tell me what sort of questions to expect??

Thanks.
Martin.
UK

Comments

• bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Jaqmar2001 wrote:
    Hi
    I've been invited to an interview for IT Help Desk (MCDST).
    Can anyone tell me what sort of questions to expect??

Thanks.

Could be a variety of things...

If you can post job desciption, and we could probably hit it on the head.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm with bjaxx on this one. Post up the job description and we'll be able to give you a couple of examples of the types of questions you might see, based on what the job entails.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i just had an interview today with a tv company, and most of my interview wasnt even about the job. me & dude was just shooting the breeze. he asked me a few technical questions, i answered them to the best i could, and the rest was just chillin. hopefully i get a call back for the second interview, and then get the job...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Jaqmar2001Jaqmar2001 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay guys...here goes..

1 Following agreed procedures receives requests for assistance from users in a pleasant and professional manner. Ensures that requests for assistance are properly logged, assigned and responded to in a timely manner and according to agreed standards and procedures.

2 Ensures that documentation of the supported systems and software is available and in an appropriate form for those receiving calls. Ensures log entries of user contacts provide a corpus of knowledge for the resolution of subsequent faults and problems.

3 Following agreed procedures, searches documentation and previous requests for assistance on related topics to establish possible solutions to calls. Documents any findings on the call log.

4 Following agreed procedures, and quality standards, responds to requests for assistance by providing first line response to enable callers to solve their problems; or by forwarding details to second line support or advising third party suppliers. Maintains accurate log entries of contact with resolution details and follow up information.

5 Ensures adherence to escalation procedures. Responds to escalated, complex and high impact user calls in a timely fashion.

6 Establishes and maintains change control procedures for the ICT Support Team, ensuring that these are incorporated into the routine workflow procedures.

7 Following agreed procedures and quality standards, notifies users of disruptions to normal service delivery.

8 Assists in the co-ordination of the movement of ICT equipment.

9 Advises and assists colleagues in the provision of services.

What questions do you think could I expect from them??
    Martin.
    UK
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jaqmar2001 wrote:
    Okay guys...here goes..

3 Following agreed procedures, searches documentation and previous requests for assistance on related topics to establish possible solutions to calls. Documents any findings on the call log.

How would you troubleshoot a call where the caller states she cannot "get online?"
    What is DHCP and how does it work?
    A user calls and states shee cannot get online. You ask her to open a command prompt and run IPCONFIG /ALL. The IP address is given as 169.254.20.15. What would you ask her to check next?
    You are helping a caller and you can ping resources by their IP adress but not by host name. How would you procede?
    Discuss a situation when the caller had great difficulty in understanding what you were explaining. What did you do?
    How have you responded when callers become demanding beyond an acceptable level?"
    Describe a highly stressful interaction you've had with an internal/external customer. How did you react?
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    even with the position details posted...the questions you might get cant really be determined. it all dependent upon the interviewer. some might ask a rack of technical questions, some might not ask that much, but ask more about customer service and how you interact with ppl.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Robert seemed to cover it all there. A lot of small stuff like if someone cannot connect what would you do. For general help desk positions the questions are more like 70-80% personal and 20-30% technical. If you can setup a computer to the network and install parts to a computer then you'll be fine.
  • UbedeadUbedead Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just though I'd add something, seemed to be a common trend when I was taking a couple of interviews.

Expect some questions related to customer service, sadly not everything is gonna end up being technical - more and more places want a person with brilliant customer service skills and then above average technical skill.

Id be expecting a couple of questions custoemr service based:
    How would you handle an upset customer who has just deleted all their work fromt he past year and can not get it back?
    How would you handle an irrate client who has been waiting a month to have his job complete?