Options

Third Party Tools For Moving Mailboxes Within A Domain.

Hello Everyone!

We have a client who is going to be "consolidating" their business, and as part of that process will be shutting down their main office, and shipping all their servers to our office for hosting. Clients will be connecting either through VPN for file access or "lite" protocols when it will suffice (OWA, RPC/HTTP, ETC). As part of this process, to minimize downtime, I am going to be creating a new AD site and installing a new Exchange server in the same administrative group. I would really like to be able to migrate the primary mailboxes off the current server to the new one, but these mailboxes are big (2 gig to 10 gig). Is there any utility out there that can move mailboxes without shutting out the user from the mailbox? Also, while I am here, anyone have any thoughts on this process in general?

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $$$$$$$$$ QMM for Exchange $$$$$$$$$$

http://www.quest.com/migration-manager-for-exchange/

Waste of money for intra-organization migrations. Just move mailboxes after hours while users aren't in there.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    royal wrote:
    $$$$$$$$$ QMM for Exchnage $$$$$$$$$$

http://www.quest.com/migration-manager-for-exchange/

Waste of money for intra-organization migrations. Just move mailboxes after hours while users aren't in there.

the issue is the two owners of the business use the corporate email as the personal email, and have mailboxes in excess of nine gigs. They have a T1 connection, and it would be connecting to a dedicate DSL connection at our corporate office. It seems like a transfer of that mailbox would take at least a full day, if not longer. We can do this, and just make them live with the downtime, but we would like to investigate all possibilities.

My next thought on how to minimize the time that the mailbox is unavailable was to export the mailbox to a pst file, and then delete the content of the mailbox. Then, we would migrate the now empty mailbox after-hours, and open it back up to the user. Then, the next night, we could merge the pst file with the mailbox and restore complete functionality to the mailbox.

any thoughts on this rube goldberg scheme?

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check your other thread for my reply about the PST move.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks