Just took the Network+ today and...

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
damn, I gotta say it was hard. First thing, make sure you know your fiber optic cables, 6 or 7 questions I had were focused toward those. A lot of the questions were also focused on OSI and what works on what level. The next were on Authentication Protocols, Remote Access and Security Protocols so make sure you have a lot of that stuff memorized. My book Mike Meyers' Network+ guide to managing and troubleshooting networks was way.... way.... out of date, which was copyrighted 2004. But since my was the book for my college's Network+ class I had to use it. The Technotes on this site were good and up to date but they really needed some more background on stuff, like say the fiber optic cabling needed more info. Like 10GBase** need a little more info; I can't stress on how much you should memorize that info about fiber though. Make sure you know your connectors too, what connects to what on modems, both cable and dsl, T1 lines are there also.

I ended up passing but just by a hair, I was really caught off guard. 576 was my grade and the passing score was 554. So it was around a question or two I probably passed by. Don't worry about "how much do I need to pass by with" since some questions they don't bother grading.

Comments

• 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!

I had a similar experience as yours a month ago, taking Network+.

What exams do you plan on studying for next ?
    ----
    Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
    Future tests:
    in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
    in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
    in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! a pass is a pass and if no matter what cert path you continue these topics will be reinforced so you will master them
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • KejanardKejanard Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Dude. Way to go!!! Whats next?
    Kejanard
    www.kejanard.net

"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire." -Aristotle
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing... what's next in line for you?

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Congrats on the pass.
    Dustin Leefers
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

When you recover from your celebration, drunken_smilie.gif what are you going to study next? icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif congrats on the pass dude! I have noticed that about the comptia exmas, they seem easy when you are studying for them, but in actual test are killers man. I have taken an unsuccessful attempt at security+ and until end of the exam I was thinking that I probably made it, but didn't. Good luck with future certs.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Thanks guys :P

I'm going for Linux+ next, I don't know if I'm going to try for the LPI certs after I'm done with Linux+ since they're pretty pricey. I'm going to focus on a internship during the summer while studying for Linux+ so I hope they'll have some Linux servers for me to practice on.

Only thing I'm worried about is I'm going to be lacking in any Microsoft cert knowledge, but I'm sure they show me any tasks they'll need me to do with Microsoft stuff. Not knowing what folder to click on isn't as bad as not knowing what command to use in Linux :)

I probably wont hit Security+ for awhile, I heard they are really Windows focused. So I assume it wont be a good idea to try any of that until I get around to starting MCTS which would depend if they have any good classes at my college.
  • Net TechNet Tech Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. What's next?
  • ckaisemickaisemi Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with you Talic, I studied for about 2 weeks before hand and I was not ready for how hard the net+ was. I was on the other side of you though, I failed with a 517 out of 554. So now I get to do it all over againl, but my exam cram book just arived so I'll make sure to get at least another 4 or 5 right this time. It wouldn't have been so bad to have totally bombed and do worse rather than come so darn close like that.
    Mikey
  • DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_twisted.gif CongratS icon_twisted.gif On your pass .....

& to ckaisemi Exam Cram was pretty good for me. The test prep sim seemed to be a useful tool. :D
  • Drift KingDrift King Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    graaaaaaatz!!!=D
    If u challenge the best u die like the rest!
  • DakinggamerDakinggamer Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ckaisemi wrote:
    I have to agree with you Talic, I studied for about 2 weeks before hand and I was not ready for how hard the net+ was. I was on the other side of you though, I failed with a 517 out of 554. So now I get to do it all over againl, but my exam cram book just arived so I'll make sure to get at least another 4 or 5 right this time. It wouldn't have been so bad to have totally bombed and do worse rather than come so darn close like that.

Yeah, I feel ya 100% I took my Net+ today and got a 508 out of 554... Net+ I felt was tough because of all the various platforms to know Windows, Linux/Unix, Apple, Netware and all the cables especially fiber-optic I got 6-7 questions on those specs... now I get to do it all over again, but my exam cram book is coming soon just ordered it so I'll make sure to get at least another 4 or 5 right this time. It wouldn't have been so bad to have totally bombed and do worse rather than come so darn close like that
    Certifications:
    *Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology
    *CompTIA A+
    *CompTIA Network+

In progress:
    MCP (70-270), MCDST (70-271,70-272), MCSA(70-290,70-291)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, sounds like you really earned your wings on this one. The thing to keep in mind is this: all certifications, no matter how advanced or entry-level, are baselines of knowledge. You take a cert, it shows you have a particular breadth of skills, and you have to build up from there. (This is true even for CCIEs. I'm sure there are many-a networking gurus that can tell you that they've seen bigger, and often less straightforward and complex, challenges in their careers than even the big, bad lab-exam.) Think of it this way, though. You passed, and now you have a very clear understanding of both what you know and what you need to work on. That's a position most of us don't get to have unless we're drowning our sorrows in booze and trying to stiffen our upper lips for another shot at whatever exam it was that knocked us flat. :D

Good luck with the Linux+ exam. You'll be covering a lot of networking material on it, as well, so you'll have an opportunity to brush up on a lot of things you covered in Network+. Personally, I enjoyed studying for it, and I'm sure you will too. (And don't worry. By the time you're done with it, you'll know if you like Linux or hate it, and will have a VERY clear idea of if you want to go on to do the LPIC exams or not.) icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Talic wrote:
    damn, I gotta say it was hard. First thing, make sure you know your fiber optic cables, 6 or 7 questions I had were focused toward those. A lot of the questions were also focused on OSI and what works on what level. The next were on Authentication Protocols, Remote Access and Security Protocols so make sure you have a lot of that stuff memorized. My book Mike Meyers' Network+ guide to managing and troubleshooting networks was way.... way.... out of date, which was copyrighted 2004. But since my was the book for my college's Network+ class I had to use it. The Technotes on this site were good and up to date but they really needed some more background on stuff, like say the fiber optic cabling needed more info. Like 10GBase** need a little more info; I can't stress on how much you should memorize that info about fiber though. Make sure you know your connectors too, what connects to what on modems, both cable and dsl, T1 lines are there also.

I ended up passing but just by a hair, I was really caught off guard. 576 was my grade and the passing score was 554. So it was around a question or two I probably passed by. Don't worry about "how much do I need to pass by with" since some questions they don't bother grading.

Passs is a pass.... congratss
    close to MCSA!!
  • megasysmegasys Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! :D
  • CERTS4LADYCERTS4LADY Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So glad u passed!!!!! CONGRATS!
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Congratulations. As others have said - a pass is a pass. However - the narrower the margin, the greater the celebration which you deserve. Well done.
    -- Dan
  • rocalien81rocalien81 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took mine the other day and just missed out got a 510 score but I was completely thrown off, I have been studying from the Mike Meyers 2004 Third Edition and I like Mike Meyers but some of the questions really took me by surprise, hey bro a pass is a pass mate and congrats, I will be resisting mine this week so hope I can come back on here and celebrate :):):)
    "Without hard work, nothing grows but weed."

Gordon B. Hinckley