Options

2811 Brand new router, what modules to buy?

predatorkillpredatorkill Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, guys, new in Cisco world and in your forums!

I am willing to buy a 2811 Router, brand new in the box.

In order to study VoIP, what other modules do i have to buy?

1x VIC2-2FXO 2-Port FXO
1x PVDM2-16
1x Cisco NM-HD-2VE Voice Fax

Are the above correct?

Do i need all these to start studying?

If yes, what firmware i must run on 2811? How i can implement CallManager 4 into the router?

I already own a 3750 PoE Switch.

Sorry for all the n00b questions...

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Why not buy something of ebay? I would imagine it would be somewhat cheaper :)

Make sure you get a FXO module for PSTN line in, FXS module for analogue phone testing.

download an ip voice IOS c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.124-22.T.bin for example

I would suggest run with ccm6 installed in a vmware environment.

:D

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'd need more than one voice router for the CCVP. You'd also want some digital interfaces, and you can't really route any calls over them if you only have one.

I had looked at getting one, and maybe two 2811s, but they wouldn't give me any more experience then what I got with my cheaper voice router home lab. The prices on the 2811 (unless you work for a Business Partner and get their discount) can be pricey -- and when you add the cost of the newer Voice Interface Cards, they can get outrageous.

Check out some of the links in the CCVP FAQ
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    predatorkillpredatorkill Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys...

I bought a 2811 from eBay, one DSP 8 channel, one VIC2-2FXO and one ISDN BRI card.

One final question, if i put these equipment in my office enviroment (not a lab) do i have to sign any kind of contract with Cisco so i can be legal? After finishing my study i will put them in a working enviroment with 4 IP Phones.