Mailbox size Limits - Exchange 2003

We have implemented mailbox quotas a couple of years ago and 99% of the time all is fine.

Suppose someone exceeds their quota they are denied send as intended.

If we give that person say 5% extra (or delete some e-mail data) it take quite a while for the system to update itself and allow mail to be sent.

We have tried refreshing the recipient update services in Exchange Manager and done various gpupdate / force on Domain Controllers.

Does anyone have any advise how to force an update properly?

We got around it by restarting various exchange services but realise that was not the ideal way of refreshing the settings.

Any ideas welcomed.

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It could be a DNS issue. If not i suppose you could try manually forcing domain replication? (active directory sites and services)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exchange caches this information for 2 hours. You can speed it up by restarting the information store. You can also change this limit via the registry but it can have an adverse affect on the performance in Exchange.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    royal wrote:
    You can speed it up by restarting the information store.

sorry to be thick, but can you advise how you do that
    royal wrote:

It's a service. So go into services.msc and restart it. If it's a cluster, go into Cluster Administrator and take the information store resource offline and bring it back online.
    royal wrote:
    royal wrote:

It's a service. So go into services.msc and restart it. If it's a cluster, go into Cluster Administrator and take the information store resource offline and bring it back online.

Thanks for that. I made the mistake of running the services.msc on a server that was not the exchange server. Remote desktop into the actual exchange server and i can see the relevant exchange services. Thanks
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    royal wrote:
    royal wrote:

Thanks for that. I made the mistake of running the services.msc on a server that was not the exchange server. Remote desktop into the actual exchange server and i can see the relevant exchange services. Thanks

Did I miss something? I thought you did not want to resort to restarting services for this? Not that there is any other way to do it, just curious.
    theseman wrote:
    royal wrote:
    royal wrote:

Did I miss something? I thought you did not want to resort to restarting services for this? Not that there is any other way to do it, just curious.

To clarify:

I was under the wrong impression that the settings for mailbox quotas could be updated by refreshing "recipient services" in Exchange manager.

I stand corrected that the services can actually refresh the settings I am interested in.

(I was looking for a single mouse-click or command-line command rather than restarting each exchange service in turn, just in the hope that one of them would cure the problem).

Royal seems to have isolated the required service:

royal wrote:

many thanks all.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Remember, you will dismount all stores on the server by restarting the Information Store service.

You could have a one click solution by restarting this service by scripting it.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Remember, you will dismount all stores on the server by restarting the Information Store service.

You could have a one click solution by restarting this service by scripting it.

Well they don't necessarily dismount. You can restart the information store and when it comes back up, you won't have to mount your databases. All it'd really be doing is temporarily disconnecting users from their mailboxes until the service comes back up.