Options

Well this made me laugh

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
So, I'm preparing for the Exchange exam next week, and I get round to having a go at the Message Tracking Lessons for my Lab from the Exchange book.

I learned a worthy lesson here..

So, I read the lesson and it says I need .NET 1.1 and ExTRA from the MS Website, so I diligently download and install both.

Now, I had been struggling getting my Outlook client to pick up the OAB.. then I remembered that it won't pick it up until the stupid thing has been generated for the first time... and I certainly wasn't going to wait until 1/2:00am for it to replicate. So I do some jiggery pokery with the custom schedule, and we're good to go.

So, .NET 1.1 is on. Start looking at the ExTRA, and then one of my friends buzzes me on MSN and asks what I'm doing. So i'm just about to send him a shiny screenshot of my OWA in 2007... and Oh dear...

"Service Unavailable"

The lesson here kids?

.NET 1.1 is a 32-bit application, and Exchange is 64-bit. IIS is the weak link here, and won't let both .NET's (Remember Exchange is utilising .NET 2.0) play together, and I end up with b0rk.

In anger I strip out the .NET 1.1, then reinstall 2.0 using the %SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i command...

And we're back to normal.

Phew.

That's a bit of a doozy.. MS!

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Heh, that's a good lesson to learn. Sounds like you figured out the solution with little or no side-effects in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, you do know the reason why you need the .NET framework 1.1 and it's not compatible with Exchange 2007, right? Because Microsoft loves us, and would never create software that's incompatible and makes us tear our hair out. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    .Net 1.1 works fine as long as it's installed on the Windows box prior to Exchange 2007 being installed.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Heh, that's a good lesson to learn. Sounds like you figured out the solution with little or no side-effects in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, you do know the reason why you need the .NET framework 1.1 and it's not compatible with Exchange 2007, right? Because Microsoft loves us, and would never create software that's incompatible and makes us tear our hair out. icon_lol.gif

Well it was working fine up until I installed the .NET 1.1

Then seeing all IIS related components (OAB retrieval, OWA) completely fall flat on their ass led me to think "Ah.. that broke it" :D

Heh.

Seems daft, though.

@ royal - guess who installed it *afterwards* ;)