List of hands-on tasks for CCNA prep, please?

spdivrspdivr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have installed GNS3 and would like to practice for my CCNA. I have looked through the available labs, but I would like to study a little differently. Instead of having a list of tasks with associated instructions, could someone please list a series of tasks for me to accomplish, without listing how to do them?

This would force me to look up the methods, and I think, get a better understanding than simply following a well marked path.

Thanks!

Comments

• famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I can name a few tasks for you to try out that was in my ICND1 Lab manual from class. this is from memory...

Enable/disable CDP on corresponding interfaces and document results/topology
    Enable port security on switch - go through the different violation modes and test
    Setup RIPv2 and compare it to setting up RIP v1.
    Setup NAT using SDM for hosts...test out that different options
    Setup DHCP using SDM and test
    Encypt all passwords on a Cisco device
    Enable and setup SSH2 for remote access and test
    Secure access to both console and remote management
    Setup static routes and dynamic routing...what are reults
    Setup "default gateways" for both routers and switches
    Enable debug commands and interpret the results

That is just for the ICND1. There were a few more, but I can't remember them all. some were little things like doing an initial configuration without using the Setup Utility and enabling/disabling ports, etc. Maybe I will have some more for ICND2 in the coming months when I get to the ICND2 lab portion.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • spdivrspdivr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, and I will definitely give those a go, but I guess I am thinking about something a little more like a lab with a particular goal in mind.

For instance, the task would ultimately be to have 4 to 6 routers online and configured for various scenarios that hit all the points a CCNA should know. From that ultimate goal, for instance, would come a break down of tasks that would also be a lesson in best practices, such as configuration, security, etc.

Thanks!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you looking for someone to kind of give you a little lab "assignment" perhaps? That combines some of the tasks? If so, I could maybe come up with something. What IOS image do you use with GNS3?
    Hi Mrock4,
    I guess an assignment would be a good term for what I am looking for. I can set up the routers and connect them at a very basic level, but I am probably going to miss a lot of things that I need to learn and to do as a best practice, so it would really be a help if it was set up sort of like:

Scenario: You must install and configure routing for a central office and 4 remote offices. There will be a switch at each office connecting to at least one PC. There will be 3 VLAN's within the network. Users must be able to access the network via a VPN. Security must be configured to prevent users at remote offices from accessing (whatever)...
    Tasks:
    1. Assign names to routers
    2. Prevent the routers from searching DNS when a bad command is entered
    3. Configure an encrypted enable password
    4. Configure an encrypted telnet password
    5. Configure a standard security banner
    6. Configure interfaces
    7. Configure RIP (or OSPF, etc.)
    8. and so on...

Obviously, there are lots of little subtasks, and this could be very complicated to design, so I could understand anyone's reluctance to pick this up; but I do think it could be a very effective tool for teaching/ learning how to really be a CCNA.

People following the program could also post here for various solutions to the different subtasks, with appropriate spoiler warnings.

Oh, and my current list of IOS images include:
    c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin
    c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T7.bin
    c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12.bin
    c1700-entbasek9-mz.124-12.bin

Thanks!
    Since I'm taking a break after my BSCI pass today, it could be a nice change to try to come up with something for the CCNA folks, and maybe others could get in and make changes where necessary too. No promises, but it sounds like a good project for me to get.

It's always good to try something a little more advanced than what you can handle, it forces you to learn more, and overcome the obstacles. I had a CCIE friend throw me a couple of labs off the top of his head while preparing for the BSCI, and it was rough, but a huge help.
    Yes, I have that book, but I am really looking for a plan like the one I described that forces me to think and research, rather than a list of "Do this" instructions.
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Id agree with you its a great its a great idea if people could post there lab ideas here so we/learners could setup the labs and find the resoultion/reasearch how they work.

Be good if we could get people's lab idea's/suggestions posted?
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
    I'm still going to work on something. The downside is it'll be aimed at those with dynamips, so switches won't really be included. Either way, we'll see. It is good practice.
    Ok, here goes. I just threw this together, and realize it doesn't encompass all of the CCNA, but figured it would give you a little workout, and hopefully be a little different than what the books provide.

First, I created in Dynamips. The router consists of 5 routers, all using serial interfaces. I created it using a 7200 image, but it really won't matter what image you use for the most part.

Here is the dynamips NET file. Open notepad, copy this, paste it in- CHANGE the image path to whatever path you are using for your images. Also, be sure to change the "7200" to whatever model you're using...then save as CCNALAB.net. Open dynamips, then the NET file you just saved, type "console /all" when the window finally stops loading..and you should have 5 routers pop open. I'm just putting this here so if someone here isn't familiar with dynamips maybe this will help...

# Simple lab

[localhost]

image = C:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\ios-7200\c7200-jk9s-mz.124-13a.bin
    # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes:
    # image = C:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\ios-7200\c7200-jk9s-mz.124-13a.bin
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    idlepc = 0x608153f4

ROUTER R1
    s1/0 = R2 s1/0
    s2/0 = R4 s2/0
    s2/1 = R5 s2/1

router R2
    s2/0 = R3 s2/0

ROUTER R3
    # Nothing

ROUTER R4
    # Nothing

ROUTER R5
    # Nothing
    Lab instructions:

WARNING: I kind of jumped around a bit on these, so I recommend reading it all, and then starting..or something. I apologize for that!!

CCNA Assignment:

1) Name each router appropriately, R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5.

ALL Routers: Disable domain lookup, and be sure that exec sessions do not time-out when connected to the console port. Also, there should be a password configured for admin personnel telnetting into all routers. The password should be: ReMoteADMIN. The login banner for all routers should say "Authorized personnel only".

- R2 and R3 should not take part in CDP.

3) Configure every serial interface in the network to use PPP, with CHAP authentication enabled. You have the 192.168.5.0/24 network to assign IP addresses with. Ensure that you are making the most efficient use of the IP addresses when assigning them to interfaces..you may subnet as necessary.

-R1 should be the DTE on all of it's interfaces (s2/0, s1/0, and s2/1). R2 should be the DTE on it's s2/0. The clock rate will be 6420.

By now you should have good connectivity between directly connected neighbors. Do a ping between each neighbor, and ensure all interfaces are up and working properly before moving on.

4) Configure RIP on routers R1, R2, R3, and R4. R1 should NOT send RIP updates to R5. R5 should use static routing to reach all networks. All routers should also be able to reach R5.

NOTE: All routers should exchange RIPv2 updates ONLY.

5) The ONLY users that should be able to telnet into ALL routers, are:

172.16.0.0/16 (entire network)
    192.168.25.1 (off-site network engineer's PC)
    192.168.25.2 (off-site network engineer's PC #2)

ALL other telnet access should be denied.

6) A "virtual" server is hanging off of R4. Create a loopback interface on R4 with the IP address 52.1.1.1/32 to act as the server. The entire network should have access to R4's web server, with the exception of R3..which should not be able to access the web server's HTTP service at all.

7) Finally, verify connectivity throughout the network.

I tried not to explain too much, but still make it clear what was expected BTW. If you have any questions let me know. I hope SOMEONE gets some use out of this.

Edit: Also, there are some points in here where you can get it done in more than one way (hint: the routing section...), so don't be afraid to give it a go. I intentionally left one or two parts somewhat vague, so you can think of different ways to get it done.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mrock4 wrote:
    I hope SOMEONE gets some use out of this.

I'm sure plenty people will. Thanks for sharing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Yeah thanks guys this is good thanks for sharing.

Be good if we could keep this going................
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
    Thanks, Mrock4!
    That is awesome! I am still figuring out the bugs in GNS3, and getting familiar with it on small labs, but I'll be starting your lab very soon.
    Thanks!
    No prob. Be sure to post any issues that arise. It can only help others that encounter the same issues. Let us know how it goes!
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Lab instructions:

3) Configure every serial interface in the network to use PPP, with CHAP authentication enabled. You have the 192.168.5.0/24 network to assign IP addresses with. Ensure that you are making the most efficient use of the IP addresses when assigning them to interfaces..you may subnet as necessary.

-R1 should be the DTE on all of it's interfaces (s2/0, s1/0, and s2/1). R2 should be the DTE on it's s2/0. The clock rate will be 6420.

Hi Mrock4,
    I just wanted to check on something- it looks like you want all interfaces PPP, with R1 as the DTE for all interfaces. But you want R2 to be a DTE, also, so I am guessing we are not looking at a ful mesh here? More of a hub and spoke, sort of? Should I just connect them as I see fit?
    Thanks!
    Yeah, make changes as necessary. I don't have the topology in front of me (at work now), but I think I may have mistyped something there. The topology resembled a bus topology somewhat, with 2 routers coming off of R1 (if I recall correctly), like a hub-and-spoke topology. Ultimately which device is your DTE/DCE won't really matter, so I'd say do it however you'd like.

Got home and checked the topology. First, R1 should be the DCE (not DTE) for it's interfaces to R4, R5, and R2. R2 should be the DCE on the interface to R3.

The topology is a hub and spoke, with R1 as the hub, and R3 coming off of one of the spokes..R2. Make sense?