Options

Okay, I need advice again. I need to make up my mind

I've been wavering for more than a couple years about this. I still got my 2 year tech degree but never pursued I.T seriously. My tech degree is closing in on 5 years old, I never got an I.T job, instead I got some work in A/R (Accounts Receivable) did that for a couple years 3, went to Texas to 03 to get away for a bit and so forth.

Since 04, I've been mostly unemployed, I had a little data entry job, got fired after a week since I couldn't keep up with the ladies there. Then, to be honest I figured out that I don't wanna do A/R work anymore, tired of the billing/receiving / Excel and work thing. I felt like it's more a ladies job than a job for men and didn't feel to content doing that stuff anymore.

I've been thinking of really pursuing I.T again while at the same time I'm in the process of moving to another city in Fla.

The good thing is that my bills are very low (under 900) since the last 3 years I focused on paying off everything that I owed. No heavy bills but my apartment which is under $600.00, no car payment, cheap insurance, no credit cards, cheap cell phone and so forth.

College;

I'm going to attend UCF in January, orginally wanted to take up Accounting then I said no, don't really care for it that much thinking of going back for CS - bachelors degree.

My question is basically can one make a living in I.T? Like everyone else I don't plan on working for someone forever becuase my mother is a Real Estate agent and I plan on getting that on the side to hopefully one day open up my own business.

The bad part is that I'm 30 already, not to young but not to old. I don't see myself in Corporate America for more than maybe 15 years tops.

I don't know what I'm saying here but what are my chances? I gotta make up my mind becuase I'm getting older, not younger.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, if it's cheap in FLA, then I would get an A+ and Net+ certifications, look for an entry level job, and be humbled. You have to start somewhere, regardless of age. You could also study MCDST, M$ version of helpdesk for XP cert. Once you get some experience in IT, you can go for more advanced certs, and better paying jobs.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "You sick pervert...she's only 17 years old"

I love your icon. Only recently saw the flash videos. That guys voice is too funny.

Input about your situation: Well, I'm guessing that you find all this networking IT stuff to be kind of interesting and fun. I'd just keep with it, studying and getting hands on experience through practice at home or through jobs if you can land one. In time I'm guessing that you'll get to be quite confident in your abilities and will then likely land a good position or, you'll realize that this stuff isn't for you. But, as I said above, I'm guessing that you like this stuff so if you keep with it you will succeed sooner or later...hopefully :)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did he say " can i really make a living doing IT" ? icon_eek.gif

wow i say you have missed out some of the best money out there
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Thanks...

I know some pretty high paying Oracle guys and NT guys, unfortunately thier young men who aren't really that type to try to give advice or help anyone else but they make a ton of money.

I.T is one of the few fields I can see a pretty good amount of money but I'm not into it for the money really, I just didn't like A/R work and I felt that Accounting wouldn't be much different.
  • Options
    Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in sorta the same situation, only I am half way through my networking degree. I am 30 years old and am wondering myself If I can be successful in this field. My doubts come from the availibility of jobs and not wanting to settle for a 10$/hr job. Keep studying and do your best. Good Luck. J
    If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Aw heck, I was 34 when I got my first cert last summer. I'll finish this year at about $35K and plan on being MCSA by early next year, and MSCE by fall.

Granted, I don't think Orlando is the best market (it kinda sucks if you ask me). Latch onto a temp agency (I know of one right down the road from UCF) and take what you can get.

If you looking to stay in the field for at least 5 years, go for it. Less than that, I'm not so sure...
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.