Connecting to console

BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all, taking a ccna class and looking for a bit of help. I have a 2514 router looking to connect via hyperterminal to it, I have it connected to COM port of my computer, all I'm getting is a blinking cursor, I have checked the COM port in device manager to ensure its working.

Any ideas?

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is your connection settings when setting up the COM connection?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Iam not sure how much you know about connecting via hyperterminal but change the bits per second to 9600 and change the flow control to none. Hope that helps.
  • BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick replies, the settings I'm using are:

Speed - 9600
    Data Bits - 8
    Parity - none
    Stop bits - 1
    Flow Control - none
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Are you using a built in serial port from your computer or a USB to serial adapter? In Device manager, is your serial device labeled COM1 or something else? Are you using a console cable to connect from serial to console port on the Cisco device? Did you make the rollover cable yourself, or is it pre-made? Let us know. I use Putty since I have Vista, but I'm sure we can figure out what is going on with your setup.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
    I got the cable of ebay, it arrived just today, its connected to the console on the router and com1 on my pc.

In device manager its called COM1 also, dont no whats wrong router powered on, the light is on, but still just getting that blinking cusor!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Is the cable a rollover?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Hit Enter when you have HyperTerminal open and see if anything appears

If there is a second COM port on you PC, connect the console cable to that and then within HyperTerminal hit Enter and see if anything gets shown then.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    Ive tryed hitting enter and nothing, only got the one COM port, its not looking good!

The router has been lying idle in my room for several months, its only today I got the cable.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well try hitting ctrl Y at the same time? Also is this cable one that goes from a 9 pin to an rj45 or is it a 9 ping to 9pin? Some 9pin to 9pin cables I have here at work dont work at all but one does not sure if length has anything to do with is but the long ones dont work and the short one does.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a rollover cable that was defective, only figured it out when I actually swapped it, like Chris B. always start at the physical layer just a thought that it might be your issue, also I would check the com/serial drivers on device manager, try to uninstall it or try a different IRQ.
    Ya its the DB9 to rj45 cable, so I should try update the driver then!
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    although the default baud rate is 9600, try different baud rates to see if you get a response.

It is worth a shot.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Ya tryed that, no luck, going to leave it now for the night, and try again tomorrow, thanks for the help all.
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Barrypr wrote:
    Thanks for the quick replies, the settings I'm using are:

Speed - 9600
    Data Bits - 8
    Parity - none
    Stop bits - 1
    Flow Control - none

Barrypr,

Try changing "Flow Control - none" to "Flow Control - Hardware".
    No changing that did nothing.

Going a little icon_evil.gif with this now
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have another machine you can try this on? I had a similar problem, and it had me pulling my hair out. My first post here was actually trying to resolve it! It turns out my serial card was bad. I popped in another one, and it was off to the races!
    Ya I do, a laptop but no serial port on it! If i get db9 to USB converter would that work, when it comes to selecting COM port and so on!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Barrypr wrote:
    If i get db9 to USB converter would that work, when it comes to selecting COM port and so on!

Yea, that's what I'm using here at work, and it works fine. Just make sure it comes with drivers for your OS; that's the biggest hang-up I see. Even if that turns out that your card/ports aren't defective, one of those would probably be nice to have on hand anyway.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Try changing "Flow Control - none" to "Flow Control - Hardware".
    Cisco doesn't use any flow control on the console ports. They defined what pins do the hardware handshaking but they're not used.
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    sounds to me like you need a usb db9 driver. that'll do teh trick.
    Going to get that converter this evening and try it out, I'll post up if it works, fingers crossed.
    It worked fine on the laptop with the converter, thanks for everyones help