Options

New to CWNP track

phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looks like I'll be spending time here now and not in the CCNA forum.

I just found out I have to get my CWNA for my job. I have a fair amount of wireless and microwave experience due to my job, so I'll help where I can, and ask questions where I don't know.

:)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phreak wrote:
    I have a fair amount of wireless and microwave experience due to my job...

Yea, that's how I make most of my lunches too. Unfortunately, that experience really wasn't as helpful for the CWNA as I had hoped icon_sad.gif

Welcome to the CWNP forums! There's a few of us regulars who have CWNAs, so don't hesitate to ask any questions :D
  • Options
    Excellent.

My primary experience in wireless has been almost totally isolated to wide-area wireless networks. This CWNP track seems like it is geared towards 802.11-based systems, and in-building WLAN's. Personally, I hate 802.11 and in-building systems. It's far easier for me to work with outdoor, wide-area systems (both point-to-point and point-to-multipoint). 802.11a/b/g systems not designed for use in the wide-area market are junk usually, but typically this is related to the protocol. Once a custom-built MAC is properly designed, your typical 802.11a/b/g radio can run just fine in the harsh world of wide-area WLAN.... :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the exam really focuses on 802.11. In fact, you should start memorizing this entire page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

However, you should have a good head-start with all the antenna types, types of interference (refraction, reflection, etc.), and other long-distance concepts. A lot of that was foreign to me.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Hey, 802.11 works outdoors too! :o

If you wait long enough they may put 802.16 on the exam for ya! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, the exam really focuses on 802.11. In fact, you should start memorizing this entire page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

However, you should have a good head-start with all the antenna types, types of interference (refraction, reflection, etc.), and other long-distance concepts. A lot of that was foreign to me.

Thanks for the link, I'll start reading that.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    Hey, 802.11 works outdoors too! :o

If you wait long enough they may put 802.16 on the exam for ya! icon_lol.gif

Yeah it can work outside, but it really doesn't do as well as other systems, especially when we are talking long-distance links. My average path is around 18 miles, with my furthest being 30. ;)

Most of my PTMP links are 10-15 miles....

802.11 systems can be tuned to operate in the outdoor world by adjusting the ACK timing and power levels, but you knew that ;)

And don't get me started on .16 products, lol.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    phreak wrote:
    802.11 systems can be tuned to operate in the outdoor world by adjusting the ACK timing and power levels, but you knew that ;)
    I prefer gigantic, super-sensitive receiving antennas myself. 802.11 from Mars is next!! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    I prefer gigantic, super-sensitive receiving antennas myself. 802.11 from Mars is next!! icon_eek.gif

That too... :)

I am working on a quote for a 60-mile 5GHz link. The radios are standard 802.11a cards with special processor boards running custom firmware. 6-foot standard parabolic antenna on one end, and 8-foot high-performance shrouded antenna on the other. ;)
  • Options
    Well I attended a course over in Columbia, MD for the CWNA course. My instructor was Robert Bartz. That guy knows his stuff. If anyone has a chance to take one of his CWNA or CWTS courses I'd suggest it.

I'm prepping for the exam now.