Frame-relay: cannot define DLCI. WHY ?

mincolmincol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a problem when config my frame-relay model with BOSON. I have three routers, ra, rb,rc
and set rb as frame-relay switching, but strange thing happend after I follow the steps from books, there is error message : invalid input detected at '^' marker came after I key in
"rbicon_sad.gifconfig-if)# frame-relay route 102 interface s1/0 201"
^

I don't know why the error marker points on 102, could anyone please tell me the reason ??

by the way, the model is point to point frame-relay.

(I am doing it two days and don't know why still)

icon_cry.gif
CCNA 640-802 certificated

Comments

• AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    When i was starting i used the boson simulator and i thought it was awful. So many useful CCNA commands not available or with errors. Packet tracer or even better, dynamips is the way to go.

The advantage of Packet tracer is that you can practice switching. I think it was a great tool and all I needed to pass both ICND exams.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mincol wrote:
    I have a problem when config my frame-relay model with BOSON. I have three routers, ra, rb,rc
    and set rb as frame-relay switching, but strange thing happend after I follow the steps from books, there is error message : invalid input detected at '^' marker came after I key in
    ^

I don't know why the error marker points on 102, could anyone please tell me the reason ??

icon_cry.gif

mincol,

PRIOR to typing such steps as rb(config-if)#frame-relay and rb(config-if)#no shutdown, did you type rb(config-if)#no frame-relay inverse-arp?
  • mincolmincol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    AlexMR wrote:
    When i was starting i used the boson simulator and i thought it was awful. So many useful CCNA commands not available or with errors. Packet tracer or even better, dynamips is the way to go.

The advantage of Packet tracer is that you can practice switching. I think it was a great tool and all I needed to pass both ICND exams.

May I ask what version you use ?

I download packet Tracer 5.0 and turn out it seill cannot accept the command " frame-relay switching" under global configuration mode.

Thank you.
  • mincolmincol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mincol wrote:
    ^

icon_cry.gif

mincol,

PRIOR to typing such steps as rb(config-if)#frame-relay and rb(config-if)#no shutdown, did you type rb(config-if)#no frame-relay inverse-arp?

I did no shutdown but the router would up a little and go down soon.
    but when I did show interface, sometimes i found only portocol is down, but sometimes show both down.
    May I ask what kind of tool you use for CCNA ?
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mincol wrote:
    mincol wrote:
    ^

icon_cry.gif

mincol,

I did no shutdown but the router would up a little and go down soon.
    but when I did show interface, sometimes i found only portocol is down, but sometimes show both down.
    May I ask what kind of tool you use for CCNA ?

mincol,

Actual Cisco routers and switches at my Cisco Networking Academy, my Cisco 2621 router at home, and a lot of imagination in conjunction with the router/switch outputs in my various books to fill in the gaps.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    mincol wrote:
    AlexMR wrote:

May I ask what version you use ?

I download packet Tracer 5.0 and turn out it seill cannot accept the command " frame-relay switching" under global configuration mode.

Thank you.

I think it was version 4.2, but I must say the global configurationcommand "frame-relay switching" is not part of the CCNA objectives. I cant remember having seen that command.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.