Options

Car computer

reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
I was thinking of doing this for a summer project sometime and I was wondering if anybody has ever put or built/installed a computer in their vehicle. I was thinking about building something small and installing a touch screen in the dash, with built in GPS and definately lots of music. Whatcha think? icon_cool.gif
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is a book on the subject.
    Car PC Hacks is your guide into the car PC revolution. Packing MP3 players, handheld devices, computers and video-on-demand systems gives you a pile too heavy to carry. But add a car and put them together, you've got a powerful and mobile multimedia center requiring no lifting. The next time you give kids a lift, you won't hear, "Are we there yet?" Instead, expect "We're there already?" as they won't want to leave the car while playing video games from multiple consoles. Car PC Hacks is the first book available to introduce and entrench you into this hot new market.

http://safari.oreilly.com/0596008716
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Quite a few discussions on the subject in PriusChat and PriusOnline as a few have tried to make use of the existing touch screen display.

Google 'car pc', tons of links.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here is a guy that was quite popular on a collapsed cert site that is really into this. Nice guy, he can probably give you some tips. There are several pictures on his web personal web site.

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/enforcer/carputer.shtml
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    EnforcerEnforcer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheShadow wrote:
    Here is a guy that was quite popular on a collapsed cert site that is really into this. Nice guy, he can probably give you some tips. There are several pictures on his web personal web site.

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/enforcer/carputer.shtml

That link is a bit old I'm afraid.

try www.en4cer.co.uk/carputer.shtml
    Mission statement : To change and deviate from the subject at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm doing it as we speak.

Check out www.mp3car.com - All the resources you could EVER need.

you can build the component part for about $300, spend a couple hundred on the touchscreen, then hook it up to a nice sound system. For $1500-$2000 you will be in heaven, but that amount is certainly not required. I have budgeted about $2500 for mine, but most of that cost is in high quality amps/component sets/subs/wiring/equalizers/etc.