CatOS-capable hardware

ravashaakravashaak Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
What would be the most inexpensive switch model that runs CatOS?

Thanks,

- Ravashaak

Comments

• tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Catalyst 5000 with a supervisor 1 or 2, or a 2926. If you are using it to study for the CCNP then you should reconsider. CatOS is not tested in the BCMSN test. The only thing you would need it for is to do advanced MLS. The 4000, 5000, and 6000 series switches that do advanced MLS will cost you several thousand dollars a piece. I powered my 2926 up to test it; that was the last time it has been powered up.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    actually you can find 5000 series for very,very cheap, even cheaper than the 2900 model that you mentioned tuner.. i've been searching for a switch and haven't made a choice to get it (the 5000 series)or not..
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    I said that the 5000 series with supervisor I or II, or 2926. They can both be bought for under 100 dollars if you time your purchases right.

I asked Ravashaak if he is planning on using it for the CCNP. If he is, then the only thing that it would be good for is MLS and QOS. The only cards that support MLS and QOS on a 5000 series is the supervisor III with netflow card, or the RSM with RSFC. The 5000 series chassis doesn't cost that much but adding MLS and QOS funcionality can cost over a thousand dollars. That is why you can find the 5000 series with sup I/II cards for dirt cheap.

If you are set on it, and willing to spend the money, then you should get the 5500 series chassis and supervisor III with NFFC2. CatOS is not a requirement on the BCMSN.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    true, i have been looking at the sup 3 cards and they ain't cheap
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Once you get the 5500 with Sup III and NFFC2, you will also have to get some ethernet or fastethernet ports for it.
  • ravashaakravashaak Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great info guys. Thanks alot.

It sounds like those options are too expensive to really be worth it. I'll let my old lab journals, notes, and past lab experience concerning MLS and QOS be enough. I went through CNAP semesters 1-7 (couldn't make semester 8's schedule work for me) and have had labtime with CatOS hardware. However, I graduated school and went straight into a normal sysadmin type position. I've let my networking skills rust enough and am currently freshening up and pursuing CCNA/CCNP. A home lab is a nice thing to have, but it sounds like I can get by without CatOS.

- Ravashaak